1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus 2004 NOT Enabling Protection

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by cynereo, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

Okay, I have Norton Systemworks 2004... and the Recycle Bin won't allow me to enable protection. I right click on the desktop icon, check the checkbox to enable protection, apply and okay out... but when i right click it again into the properties, the box is already unchecked. Plus, it doesn't protect at all. I used to use it so when I used Outlook Express and deleted an email, Norton would protect it and I can recover it if I needed to, but I don't have that option anymore, the recycle bin just won't enable the protection. I used to have that stupid "Access Denied: C drive" message, until I just unenabled the protection. I don't get that message anymore, but I can't protect anything. I've already used tips like rebooting before and after checking and unchecking the box, and going into the Administrative Tools of the Control panel and even changing the security of the C drive properties. All these tips worked for some, but not me... Can someone help me????

2. Totallyfree

Totallyfree

Just curious but what does the recycling bin have to do with Norton ???... Are you saying that your Norton Auto Protect doesn't stay on ???

3. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

yes... protected files go to the bin... but the Norton Protection isn't working... everytime i enable it and apply then okay, it doesn't remain enabled. I go back to the properties of the recycle bin, and the enable box is unchecked.

4. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

Anyone else have this problem and solution???

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Open systemworks, go to options, advanced tools, recycle bin properties, modify. Make your adjustments there and see if that works. It should, but??

6. carol perez

carol perez

I had exactly that problem after I cleaned up my startup menu. What I found was that ccApp was unchecked. The minute I checked it Nortan was enabled again.

7. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

I'm unclear on what you've tried by going into the Administrative Tools and your version of Windows.

So follow the instrutions to your version of Windows to check that the driver loaded.

Windows NT:

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then choose Control Panel.
    Double-click the Devices icon.
    Select Norton Unerase Protection Driver.
    Click Startup, click Automatic, click OK, and then Close.

Windows 2000:
    Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then choose Control Panel.
    Double-click the Administrative Tools icon, then double-click the Services icon.
    From the list of services, locate and double-click Norton Unerase Protection .
    In the Startup Type area, click the drop-down menu button and select Automatic.
    Click OK

Windows XP:
    Click the Start button, and then choose Control Panel.
    Double-click the Administrative Tools icon, then double-click the Services icon.
    Locate and double-click Norton Unerase Protection from the list of services.
    In the Startup Type area, click the drop-down menu button and select Automatic.
    Click OK

If thats OK and you still don't have protection, then post the content of your boot.ini file.

8. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

okay, I've tried everything that everyone has suggested, but Carol Perez, what is the ccApp?? VirtualMe, those were the instructions i've been through in the Administrative Tools I was talking about.... and I'm sorry, where do I find the contents of my boot.ini file???

9. carol perez

carol perez

I found it in Start/Eun/msconfig/enter and then click on the startup tab.
    In that menu you will find ccApp unchecked
    Check it and then reboot....
    Your Norton should be enabled.
    At least mine was.
    carol :)

10. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

Sadly, the ccApp was already checked and started up fine. The checkbox in the properties of the Recycle Bin Norton Protection continues to disable itself and Norton will not protect my files into the Recycle Bin. Everytime I check the box and apply, a small popup window that says "initializing drive" for about a second, but when I click OK and go back to the properties, I find the checkbox for enabling protection unchecked again. VirtualMe, the only boot.ini that I found was in the System Configuration Utility, I don't know if that was what you're talking about but this is what I see:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systmes]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDWOS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

11. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

If you did a search for a boot.ini file and didn't find one, then the thing I was going look at will not apply.

The boot.ini file maybe just be a XP thing, or a dual OS system thing.

I have the file on my dual WinMe and Xp system, but my kids single Win 98 system does not.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I had a similar problem with 2003, although I could not turn on email scanning. I ended up having to uninstall (manually) and reinstalling to get the option back. Same thing would happen, I'd check it, but it wouldn't stay checked.

13. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

I did a search for the boot.ini and only found a boot.ini.backup file, not sure what that is...

14. cynereo

cynereo Thread Starter

Actually, I used to have Norton Utilities 2002... that was when it last worked. My Norton Protection was working fine and going directly into the Recycle Bin, but something then happened and I couldn't figure it out. But after that, I uninstalled and got Norton Systemworks 2004, and still continue to have the same problem....

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That could be creating a problem, as when I did a reinstall, it still wouldn't work. I had to download a removal tool from Symantec's website and run it about 6 times to get everything removed :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice