1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus 2005 Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jer74, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jer74

Jer74 Thread Starter

Is anybody else having this problem. When I first turn the computer on, or run Microsoft Outlook or download the odd file the Windows Installer box pops up saying preparing to install and then a norton antivirus 2005 box pops up saying "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall". Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't make a difference. Everything seems to be working alright. I can use liveupdate and scan. I tested the worm blocker and it works fine. I am using WinXP with Service Pack 2.
    Anybody have any suggestions?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Seriously my answer is to say get rid of Norton,there are so many posts in these forums concerning problems with Norton Products,no-one will be able to give you a fix I dont suppose not even Norton,they are a mystery unto themselves,if you want a peaceful co-existance with your computer go here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php and download the Free AVG anti-virus,thousands if not millions use it worldwide and its arguably as good as any other anti-virus ......

3. Jer74

Jer74 Thread Starter

Thanks, I've read about all the problems people have with Norton but I've been using it for 10 years with never an issue until now. I think I will give AVG a try though.

4. eightup1

eightup1

I've probally bashed norton in every post i've made ..... im starting to feel bad about it .. but i agree with telecom69.

I do have to add one thing that no one ever mentions .... if you go with the free version of avg ... and you like it .... if you can afford it ... please pay for a copy of the pro version .. . the people at gri soft do an amazing job of providing a free product that beats the pants off many paid programs ...and we should all support them in their efforts.

5. Jer74

Jer74 Thread Starter

Noted. I've heard a lot of good things about AVG and if I do like it I will upgrade to the PRO version.

6. rick23113

rick23113

The problem is that you have moved the "Norton Antivirus" folder in your "Start, Programs" menu. The quickest and easiest solution is to move the "Norton Antivirus" folder back to the root of the "Strart, Programs"

You can also edit the registery to the new location. I searched for "Programs\Norton Antivirus" in regedit and replaced with the new location.

7. jaye944

jaye944

I've never had any problems with NAV !

I preferred Doc Solomons before it became macafee

8. John Burns

John Burns

Quote Per eightup1:

I got fed up with Symantec - and their handling of pre-2004 NAV's and did just what you suggested - installed pro version of AVG - on two computers. I am glad that I did - really like it and I no longer have to hassle with Symantec. Good Advice!

9. Chelmite

Chelmite

To fix the problem, you can edit the Registry.
    Disclaimer: If you aren't comfortable editing the registry, DON'T DO IT!

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus
    Change ShortcutPath to the new location of the shortcut, e.g., C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!