1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by technomage50, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. technomage50

technomage50 Thread Starter

I hope somebody can help me. I have upgrade to XP from ME and am trying to get my Norton Antivirus and Internet Security to load but am having problems. My disk copy is 2001 and I understand that it is old but I have been buying the updates the last 2 years. When I try to load from the disk it says that it is incompatible without a certain driver that I have now downloaded from Symantec.
    When it installs the program everything seems ok until the end when it " rewinds " the installation.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

NAV 2001 has no guaranteed operation under Windows XP.

Even if you could get it installed, the main program was never written for XP, and may be less than effective.
    Toss it.

If you head over to http://www.grisoft.com

Download AVG Free Edition.

Its very good, and best of all its free.
    The updates are free as well.

3. technomage50

Thanks for responding kiwiguy. I have tried three times to download the free version and each time I get the email for the code but I get " The page cannot be found" Any suggestions?

4. Peter_Brown

Peter_Brown

I agree with Kiwi, I have tried the product on XP and have never successfully gotten it to work, I also tried System works, earlier versions with no luck.

You need a different version

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    NAV2001 does not work properly with XP.

AVG download site is currently down, try again later.

6. technomage50

Yeah thanks everyone..... Just on the phone with Symantec and they no longer support 2001 and will not refund my subscription past 60 days. They get you coming and going don't they!

7. technomage50

just found out they tack it onto the time of the new product. Not a refund but next best thing plus can buy from the update discount store.
    Thanks again everyone

Will try AVG again at some point

8. tlund_99

tlund_99

You can also try www.avast.com for a free Antivirus program.It works very well also.

9. slipe

slipe

Eagle has the Norton System Works Pro CD for $15 – they recently raised it: http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/symnorsyspro3.html It is the regular retail CD without the box and comes with the full year’s updates to the AV. I take it you could apply your credit to extend that. Ghost alone is worth the price and I’m a big fan of Cleansweep if you experiment a lot with downloads.

10. paublo

paublo

Does this ring true for the 2002 edition A freind tried to install after an upgrade fron Me and had troubles (upgrade from Me to Xp pro) it worked fine before but can't install now. I used the disks on mine and loaded fine(Xp Home) although I un installed after (Trust Avg more). Any suggestions or comments?

Always need more info.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nav 2002 works just fine. Upgrading O/S's is messy and this is probably why it didn't work. Antivirus software should eb uninstalled prior to upgrades.

12. paublo

paublo

"Nav 2002 works just fine." (quote Triple6)

Is it Free and where can I try.

13. odedfehr2002

odedfehr2002

I am trying to uninstall the norton all together. It has always caused us nothing but problems. I want to install the avg anti-virus, but I need help in properly uninstalling the norton (all of it) before I can install another and different anti-virus. Could somoene help me please??? Thank you,
    [email protected]

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. odedfehr2002

odedfehr2002

I will try this...Hope it works for me. This is the 2nd time I have had a problem with norton. I will let you know if it works....I will do it tomorrow though...I have a headache already...Thanks
    [email protected]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!