1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lawsonmorton, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

I have installed Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro on a computer I just built. It has a soyo SY_K7VEMPRO v1.0 motherboard, with a 1600+ Athlon, 256 mb of RAM at 133 with a 40 GB Seagate hardrive. When I did the full scan of the harddrive with Norton, it crashed and rebooted, i changed bios setting from optimized to load fail safe default and it ran the full scan. However when I tried to do a full scan again, the scan froze but I was able to close it, by X ing it out. I checked the CPU usage and it went up to 100%. It don't seem to go back to normal unless I reboot.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is Norton really my problem? I have also tried Burnin Test, and it did not find any problems with my hardware. So I am wondering why my CPU gets up to a 100% and slows down my computer because I do a Norton Scan.

2. mobo

mobo

Try an online scan here before moving on .

3. Kazrath

Kazrath

Also, Boot into safe mode.

From the run line do this:

Navw32 /l /visible

(first one is "L" just needs to be lower case)

4. lawsonmorton

Well guys the first thing I tried was booting into safemode and running that Navw32 /l /visible command from run. I did not do anything at that point, except that it said it was a bad command or something, however, when I tried to reboot I got :"NTLDR file missing" so now I have reformatted my drive with XP, I am going to try to get a hold of Mcafee and see how that works. I have lost my patience with Norton. I will let you know how that goes.

5. PCvirgin

PCvirgin

Lawsonmorton:
    What your expereincing with NAV is not froeign at all. I have went through some dilimmas with NAV. So, you hang in there and find another anit virus program. Also be mindful of the fact that sometimes NAV corrupts your registry. It is good that you refromatted your drive.

6. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

I also have Norton and have the same problem. Norton uses at times 100 percent of my motherboard. You cannot run anything else while running a full system scan. I know its a problem cause you can't do anything while it is scanning, but so far, norton has caught everything sent my way. Even the gibson site has tried and failed to get any connection to the computer. I'll put up with the scanning 100 percent till norton does me wrong.

7. lawsonmorton

I tried Pc-cillin 2003 and it works with no problem. Thanks guys for your suggestions and help.

8. mobo

mobo

Welcome ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!