1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus vs. AVG anti-virus free?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Yoshi123, Jan 30, 2008.

?

Which is better?

1. Norton Antivirus

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. AVG Ant-virus 7.5 free

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yoshi123

Yoshi123 Thread Starter

Which is better?

I've heard that AVG free is good.
    I've heard recently Norton is bad.

I currently have Norton right now.

2. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

Norton is a resource hog and AVG used to be pretty decent, not sure how they are now. Read some bad things about them awhile back. If you're looking for a free anti-virus try Avast Home Edition. You register it and they send a serial thats good for 14 months. Once that expires you can re-register for another free serial. They have an awesome anti-virus, doesn't use a lot of resources. The only bad thing is there is not a scheduled scan. But you can use the Avast screen saver to scan your machine when the screen saver comes on.

You can even try Comodo Anti-virus, it is also free. i don't have to much experience with their anti-virus. I have read a few of the reviews and it is worth a shot...it is free!

Hope that helps!

3. GoblinCleaver

GoblinCleaver

AVG for the simple fact that Norton releases their own viruses...So they can get more business...

Okay, all conspiracy theories aside, I trust AVG a little more just because it's worked for me for a long time and never seems to slow down my computer's performance with a "security center" or something of the like. AVG just kind of, stays out of the way, I guess, and that's how I like it. I'd use McAfee over Norton even, personally. But I'd use a Linux distro over Windows anyday too, and that's probably the best way to solve this problem: hardening.

4. Yoshi123

Yoshi123 Thread Starter

But does Norton have a largesr database than AVG? (Meaning it can detect more)

5. AV1611

AV1611

Personally I prefer Avast but out of the two, AVG is better.

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

largest data base shouldn't be the deciding factor for you. New and altered viruses, trojans and such are being introduced to fast to rely on data bases for protection. More importantly you want to look at heuristics (the ability of the AV software to detect infections by their actions), this will help protect you against new threats that haven't been included in data bases yet.

7. r3drock3t88

r3drock3t88

I've always had trouble with norton. Why do you think it usually comes standard on the new Vista based machines? :p

8. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

I am willing to bet the reason Norton is in all of these machines is because they were the highest bidder!

To tell you the truth, Norton used to be a very good AV but they are the perfect example of a company taking on to much! I don't think you can even buy just the AV anymore...you have to get the full blown suite and it takes over the whole damn system. I guess its good for the people who have no idea how to maintain their machines! But not for me.

9. r3drock3t88

r3drock3t88

I agree, seems like every computer that has Norton now a days is run the Norton way. (if that makes sense haha) ... They were good at one time, but now a days it seems like they've just over done it.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Norton costs too much, Slows the computer down, and I was always having to remove it and reinstall it to fix it.
    Then I'd have to call Norton and explain why I used up my allotted activations.

I've switched to AVG free, Zone Alarm, CCleaner and WinPatrol .. all free.

Then, With the money I saved, I got Acronis True Image and an external Hard Drive to backup my computer with.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Now, I can fix anything in about 20 minutes ...
    Even when Windows gets confused for no good reason.

11. DarklykraD

DarklykraD

Norton has large database of virus

Million Company use Norton and Mcafee

12. mrss

mrss Guest

If you were to browse the hijack this threads over in the malware removal forum, you would find the infected PC's were running all kinds of free or paid anti-virus programs, including AVG, Norton, McAfee, CA Network assocates, etc. I don't know what it means, except that we should be careful what we download and what we click.

13. sup2a

sup2a

got it in one

14. Tentel11

Tentel11

I've been using Avast for quite a while now and it is fantastic.
    They update their database at least once a day, and they offer real time protection, which is quite useful.

i have a question for someone with experience with Mcafee:
    I have Comcast, and Mcafee is offered free with it, so would it be worth it to switch over?
    I'm not hugely worried about viruses (for all it's faults, Vista's UAC and IE7s protected mode makes it very difficult to aquire viruses), but Mcafee has many more useful features than Avast, and keep in mind that both are free.

I'm not terribly worried about running low on resouces, as it is, i've never been able to push my RAM usage to even 60%, even with my computer being on for days and running multiple programs such as AutoCAD.

Oh, and by the way, after 4 months of running Avast on a clean install of Vista, I ran the Kaspersky free system scan and it came up clean. For a free program, Avast is frantastic.

15. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

IMO, Mcafee is as bloated as Norton...If you have your own security and it's working, why fix it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677579