1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by rosepetal, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosepetal

rosepetal Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have Norton antivirus 2002, zone alarm, adaware, and spybot.

Do I really need to have all of these if i have the nav2002?

I'm running low on memory and need to uninstall some programs.
    Need to know which ones I should keep .

rosepetal :rolleyes: :confused:

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Spybot and adaware should use no memory if not running unless you are using adwatch. Zone alarm is a firewall which is different than an antivirus, so yes I would recommend you keep it. Norton itself is a pig, but if you have it you might as well keep it.
    I say yes keep them all, but that is just my opinion.

3. TOGG

TOGG

I agree with skivvywaver that you should probably keep what you have.

I know that NAV and ZA have reputations as resource hogs so, if you are feeling adventurous, you could look at the free AVG antivirus from Grisoft and one of the other firewalls. Unfortunately, NAV and ZA also have reputations for being difficult to uninstall cleanly but I don't know if that's true.

I have all the programs you have plus a real time anti trojan and a couple of things monitoring my Registry on a 450Mhz, 128MB RAM Win 98 box and don't get many 'low resources' warnings.

Have you done any 'housekeeping' lately, such as getting rid of Temp files and old downloaded stuff?. Depending on which OS you use you should have built in cleanup tools, in Win 98 it's called Disk cleanup and is in Programs/ Accessories/System tools.

There are probably better cleaners that you could download, some freeware, but you would have to be very careful in using them. Because I only have a 12GB HDD I use a cleaner called Window Washer to free up space but it's not free to use.

PS. If you have 'msconfig' you could check to see that you really need everything in your startup to be running all the time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice