1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton ate my recycle bin

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shaelesand, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaelesand

shaelesand Thread Starter

A friend of mine uninstalled norton system works (not certain what version, he is pretty computer-stupid :rolleyes: ) and it appears it has left behind all it's registry settings and half it's files but the major problem is the Recycle bin has no program associated with it.

Anyone know a quick fix (other than reinstalling, setting the recycle bin back to normal and uninstalling)

He has Windows ME, but the system restore was disabled to save space or I would try restoring back a couple days before he installed Norton or use the old registry.

(Just for the record, this guy thought Norton systemworks would increase his CPU speed, don't ask me why.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shae

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you did an improper uninstall, I think the easiest way will be to re-install, then properly uninstall. Symantec also has uninstall instructions on their website for completely removing all traces of their products.

3. shaelesand

Regrettably this is my friend's machine and he installed an illegal copy that he has since thrown out so reinstallation is not an option. As for how he removed it, I think he did it properly. I have showed him how often enough.

Anyone know what registry settings it is? Or maybe what to search for in the registry

4. Kazrath

Kazrath

If u have an alternate computer or somone is willing to send u this key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

It is the same on any OS... It will replace yer Recycle bin.

5. shaelesand

Big thanks, just what I was looking for!

6. PCvirgin

PCvirgin

Shaelesand:
    What happen with your friend's computer is not uncommon with legit copies of NAV. As a matter of fact, the Norton program also corrupted my registry. It gave me numerous problems and so I had do an recovery. I glad that you were able to get the infomation you need to recovery your friend recycling bin.

7. Kazrath

Kazrath

It's funny that you say that.

About the only time I ever see issues where Norton program "broke" a computer is when the computer has been or is infected with a virus. Has massive malware/spyware/adware on it... Or is generally not running stable.

If individuals cannot keep their computers generally maintained and expect a software to do it all for them... they are sadly mistaken.

8. shaelesand

I have seen several computer come in to the shop with Norton and many times the complaints are 'speed' and 'stability' both of which show a marked improvement when Norton is removed.

Also, norton is MASSIVE for the job it is trying to do and I am never comfortable with how it takes over hte system. I find smaller Virus scanners, such as AVG, do just as well if not better for removing viruses with much less drain on resources.

Our Computer store even refuses to sell any Norton products except Ghost and PC anywhere

9. Kazrath

Kazrath

I don't disagree that it is a "resource" hog. Or that other AV softwares can do the same job.

However I do disagree with anyone who says it "corrupts" the registry. Or breaks an OS. Any software that is as highly used as the Symantec line of softwares obviously works on millions of computers. It's funny how people always think its the software and not their computer or use of that caused the issue.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've been using Norton products for years, and I'll take NAV over McAfee any day. I've also never had Norton "corrupt" any registry, and I use it on many machines. I tried several of the alternative AV products like AVG, but I prefer Norton.

11. shaelesand

I guess it remains each to their own. It takes a court order to get me to install Norton, we even install AVG to remove viruses when Norton is on the machine because nine times out of ten norton is out of date and the subscription is expired.

I like AVG because it is small and it does the job. I prefer programs that do the job and don't try to be all in one wonders. I'd rather have four programs that were designed to do a specific job than one that tries to do it all.

Besides, having to pay for updates after already paying for hte program is too much like blackmail.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice