1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton AV 2008 Refuses to Open

Discussion in 'General Security' started by cayt_lyn, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cayt_lyn

cayt_lyn Thread Starter

((I hope this is the right area; if not, let me know and I will fix it)).

During the last few days or so, my Norton AV 2008 has been acting up; it tells me via the little orange exclamation point that I need to run the weekly scan or update my definitions, which is does every week. This week, however, it refuses to open whenever I click on the icon in my tray. I went through Program folders and tried to open it through there, same thing. The hourglass icon appears, but it won't open. I restarted my computer several times, and it still persists. I do have Trend Micro, because it came with my software, but had to purchase Norton because my school's network refuses to accept any computer onto the network not protected by Norton. I shut Trend off whenever I turn it on, so they don't interfere with one another.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I searched on the internet, on the Symantec support page, and so on, and couldn't find anything. :/

2. Michael York

Michael York

Hi cayt_lyn,

It sounds like you either have an infection, software conflict or there is some corruption in your installation of Norton AntiVirus. Please remove any other antivirus applications from your computer to rule out a software conflict as the cause of the problem.

The first thing I would suggest is that you restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton and then run a "Full System Scan" from there.

If you still can not launch Norton, the easiest way to resolve this issue is to properly uninstall and reinstall Norton.

Restart your computer into normal Windows mode.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton AntiVirus. Towards the end of the installation process, the LiveUpdate feature will automatically run and download and install updates to both the program files and definition files.

4, Since you have a valid subscription to Norton AntiVirus 2008, you are entitled to a free update to Norton AntiVirus 2009. To update to the latest version use Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher and click on the following link.
    Norton Update Center

Thank you,
    Mike

3. cayt_lyn

cayt_lyn Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice; I removed Trend Micro using the Add/Remove Programs, and that solved some of the problem. When I originally bought my laptop, Trend was installed with Vista; when I got back to college, however, the tech desk required Norton in order for my computer to get on the network. I forgot to uninstall Trend, and by the time I remembered, I guess it was too late. A guy from Geek Squad said that my OS may be affected now (which I think is true); whenever I restart my computer, it takes forever, the taskbar keeps freezing, and I can't get any programs to open.

The guy from GS and I removed Trend--the program. However, the icon is still in my toolbar, and I can't find it in Add/Remove Programs... however, there is still a folder in Program Files that I apparently don't have permission to delete; I am the only SN/User on this computer, and as far as I know, I have admin status; any advice about how to get rid of that folder?

4. Michael York

Michael York

Hi cayt_lyn,

Just because the icon for the TrendMicro product is still on your toolbar, that does not necessarily mean that the application is still loaded. Since the license for this product came with your computer, your best bet would be to contact them for help in fully removing their product. You may want to first check their website for proper removal instructions.

The other problem that could affect the overall performance of your computer is a lack of system resources. Please have a look at Symantec's guide.

Symantec guide to optimizing system resources

I would also suggest that you open Norton AntiVirus, manually run LiveUpdate and then perform a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

Thanks,
    Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice