1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Confidential plug keeps crashing per Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GerBissett, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GerBissett

GerBissett Thread Starter

After a recent upgrade of Norton Security, I keep getting the message on entry to a website - "Norton Confidential has crashed" and Chrome and Vista generally running very slow..... has anyone got a fix?
    Do I just turn off the Norton Identity plugin from within Google extensions until such time as Norton/Google sort out the problem?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

3. GerBissett

GerBissett Thread Starter

Thanks - it looks like Norton are blaming Google, and that there's no immediate fix!
    :-(

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

My first inclination would be to say that you should get rid of everything "Norton" since by far the majority of the infected machines I fix are using it for "protection". Besides being a cause of many problems and slowing down machines, it is also one of the first to be inactivated by infecting viruses.

But, you could always go to the options in Chrome and block the plugin until there is a resolution.

5. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Agree 100% with Elvandil, as at one time many many moons ago I used Norton/Symantic Anti-Virus program. When it became to big for it's britches and slowed my computer to a turtle pace, I got rid of it and used some Free programs for awhile until I stumbled on this site which recommended Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is Fantastic in that it does a much better job than all the others I have used and with no interference with my computer. It is also a free program!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

MSE is great. My second choice would be Avast Free. It has an automatic sandbox that offers to run suspicious programs isolated from the machine if you are not sure what they are going to do. I used to pick up something or other from time to time, but have had not even one infection since using Avast, and I am not very careful since I use Acronis Backup & Recover and don't worry about restoring my system if need be.

7. blues_harp28

Avast gets my vote and the sandbox is an added protection.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I like the sandbox feature very much. It's kind of too bad that you can't use it anytime you want in the free version, but it does catch most suspicious things automatically. In the pay version, it can be used to virtualize most anything, including browsers.

9. blues_harp28

It's about time I passed on a few £ss and upgraded to Pro.
    I think they they have earned it.
    I will give it some thought.;)

10. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

You two have me curious to Avast, have not tried that one...

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I like it. It talks to you.:D Catches everything (You may even want to reduce its sensitivity). It has a very handy "off" timer so you can disable it for installations and things to speed them up. It will come back on when the timer runs out in case you forget. Doesn't seem to slow me down at all. Good to disable it during defrag so every file does not get scanned for viruses as the defragger accesses them. Also handy if you use any of those Nirsoft password programs that a lot of AV's classify as malware.

And then there's the sandbox....

12. blues_harp28

(y)
    Oh yes.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053920