1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Dept of Defense

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by airmac19, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airmac19

airmac19 Thread Starter

I bought a couple of used toshiba satellite pros and one has a hard drive with a norton operating system made special for the DOD. I'd like to format it and install windows. If I could get to the dos system, I could do it, but can't seem to locate it anywhere. It has an opening screen requiring a password etc, but can move around a little in it. Is there someway like holding a key down while booting to go straight to dos? Thank you. :confused:

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if it has a floppy use a 98se bootdisk/1st to boot and run fdisk to remove the partition then create/format the new partition unless there a special safeguards in dod computers.

another one is delpart.exe. an ms program that removes everything.

3. airmac19

airmac19 Thread Starter

Thanks for answering this thread. I know very little about reformatting and partitioning. I got a boot disk to allow me to get into ms dos, I got a boot disk for win98se, but since it's not on the hard drive at all, it didn't work. The computer ignores fdisk during boot up and there no exe file for accessing in msdos. I got delpart and it opened on bootup but I can't figure out how to go any further. Any how to instructions? I've looked all over net, but the main problem is the one I had from the beginning, having norton as the main os screws all these boot disks that are designed with assumption that the os is windows. I did get into other sections while in dos, eg is has qbasic and other things I can get into, but none have been helpful. Anyway, any suggestions? Thanks.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it's not on the hard drive.

you have to boot to the boot disk by selecting floppy as the 1st boot device in bios.

when it boots it will ask if you want cd support, select no.

at the a: type: fdisk/enter and follow the prompts to remove then create the partition.

5. airmac19

airmac19 Thread Starter

I tried again. I do have bios set to do floppy drive first. When I put fdisk on and boot up, it now says I/O error. It does not say this when I put the dos boot disk in, it works ok. When I boot up with win98se boot disk, it just says take disk out and press any key.I've printed out instructions off the net, but nothing acts like people say it should. I think I should explaine part of my problem is the cd and floppy drive exchange on this model and after each is put in, it has to be rebooted to accept it. Also, the bios doesn't allow for booting the cd drive first for some reason. It's a pain. If I get window on floppies, I may be able to install from dos and work from that to get rid of norton. I'd really like to reformat though. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice