1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Firewall--can't get rid of risk alert box

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pcbaaya, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

For example, I clicked on what was supposed to be a picture link on GardenWeb and up popped a High Risk Alert box. I chose Block and clicked OK, but the box just presented itself again. The X at the upper right was greyed out, I think. Anyway, even closing and then restarting my browser (IE) (I have Cox Cable) didn't get rid of the box, so I had to reboot. When I clicked on "?" in the alert box, I got the message that the site was attempting to send my bank account info to some Epson site where people post their photos. Something similar has happened before. Very annoying. Does anyone know how I can fix this so the alert box will disappear after I make my choice?

2. BillC

BillC

Default for me is to trust my firewall until I have a reason not to. But help me understand, how did you conclude from your firewall's alert that your banking information was being sent to "some Epson site where people post their photos' when you clicked on a picture link?

:confused:

3. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

Thanks for answering.
    I cam to that conclusion because when I clicked on either "Alert Assistant" or the question mark above it (These are in the Alert box.), I got the Alert Assistance box, which said, among other things, "What triggered this alert? You attempted to use Web Browser to send information in the Bank Account Category to albums.photo.epson.com."
    By the way, since the aforesaid Alert Assistance box also said that if I chose to permit the information to be sent, just xxx's would be transmitted in place of the real numbers, I tried choosing "Permit" instead of "Block" in the alert box, but with the same result: I ended up having to restart the computer to get rid of it.

4. BillC

BillC

This all does sound suspicious to me. The site, GardenWeb.com, seems very bengin so I'm not at all sure what is causing this behavior.

For starters, if you have an antivirus program, I'd update the definitions and run it. If you don't have one, try an online scan at TrendMicro HouseCall.

You may have spyware on your machine that Spybot S & D will help to find and delete.

I don't use Norton's firewall. Perhaps someone here who does could help you better.

5. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

It sounded suspicious to me, too. Connect to the Epson site so I can see the picture being offered, yes, but send bank account info?!! How weird! I do have Norton Antivirus and it always updates automatically. I also have AdAware and will now run that.
    Thanks a lot.

6. raybro

raybro

I've had sometihing similar happen with my Norton Firewall a while back. Turned out one of my credit cards (last 4 digits) entered into the Privacy Control/ Confidential information was the same as something on a site I was trying to access. Sorry, I don't remember the details... It's been over a year since that happened.

I'm not sure this is the same thing, but it sounds similar.

HTH :)

7. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

That would account for the alert, so I think I'll try giving more digits and maybe not get those alerts at all. But I still don't know why I can't get rid of the alert box, no matter whether I chose "Permit" or "Block"! Thanks for the input.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice