1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton fubar'ed my comp. (not norton specific)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KarmaTate, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KarmaTate

KarmaTate Thread Starter

I installed Norton Antivirus 2002 to clean up the comp (Win ME) and when I restarted I got a laundry list of problems.

1. Sysdll.exe is missing, and I need it to run rundll.exe. Can anyone tell me anything about Sysdll.exe?
    2. No programs can be found, even when clicking on the .exe file itself, however, the program will start if you open an associated file. (I opened IExplorer by opening a .jpg)
    3. Many other program files are missing (I expect these will have to be reinstalled)
    4. I don't have the 'appropriate permissions' to use anything in the Control Panel.
      [/list=1]

Mainly I'd like to learn about Sysdll.exe and Rundll.exe and how to get 'permissions' back to run Control Panel.

Thanks in advance!

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

did you update the norton virus definitions and run a full scan

sysdll.exe seems to be part of a trojan - see this

rundll - is exactly that, it allows you to run a dll

not sure if you should try the me restore and start over, or try and clean up what you have now

start with the full scan tho

3. KarmaTate

KarmaTate Thread Starter

One problem... System Restore and NAV are programs... and Windows, even in Safe Mode, cannot find programs.

Trying to fake out the system by falsely associating a file with the programs will not work. I thought of creating an HTML page that calls up these programs... might work.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

5. KarmaTate

KarmaTate Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!! You are a lifesaver, it worked!

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You're welcome.

Now, since this was a trojan that could have allowed an outsider into your PC, OR could have been used to steal passwords, you should immediately change all passwords everywhere.

Also, since it was Norton that detected this, you are obvioiusly not running a firewall.
    Download and install ZoneAlarm from www.zonealarm.com.

This will not necessarily stop trojans from getting in, but if will certainly identify them, when they try to call home.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice