1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost 12 and WinXP HD clone

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cloud2Ground, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cloud2Ground

Cloud2Ground Thread Starter

I used Norton Ghost 12 to clone my primary HD with WinXP Pro SP2 on it. When I try to boot from the clone, it gets all the way to where it's just about to show the users that you can choose to log on with and freezes. I have tried to clone this drive twice with no luck.
    If it matters I'm copying from an IDE master to an SATA.
    Thanks,
    Don

2. Spider111

Spider111

Well this must be the answer. I think that Ghost can't clone from one hdd to another which has different interface. This opinion is based on experience with Home True Image which can't execute such an operation. But some time ago I purchased True Image Workstation with Universal restore add-on which did the job perfectly. Hope this is helpfull

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you trying to boot the clone in the PC that created it? Or in another PC? If it is another PC, Windows may not run properly (if at all) because the hardware is different.

4. Cloud2Ground

Yes on same PC. I just want to have an SATA as my Primary. Just not havening much luck. Don't really think it's the interface due to the fact that Norton completes the clone with no errors, Win and all files are there.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you booted Windows XP on the PATA drive with the SATA drive connected? And are the SATA drivers loaded on the current installation of Windows? If so then you should be able to copy from the PATA to SATA drive without much fuss, I've done it before with Acronis.

By chance have you tried booting the SATA drive with the PATA drive completely unplugged from the computer?

6. Cloud2Ground

Yes I have tried to boot it as the only HDD on the system no help. I didn't look for any Win drivers. I can use the drive for storage it just wont boot Win.
    What are the proper Norton options when doing a clone with your OS on it. Maybe I'm doing that wrong.
    Thanks again,
    Don

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I haven't used Norton Ghost in a long time, I've now switched to Acronis TrueImage, sorry.
    It would seem the clone is going OK if it gets as far as it does. Maybe try updating or reinstalling the SATA drivers and then doing another clone. If you were using it for storage then some SATA drivers must already be installed. Or run Norton Ghost's LiveUpdate to check for updates to the program.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!