1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton ghost 15 and "ghosting" a hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dewnmoutain, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewnmoutain

dewnmoutain Thread Starter

HALLO everyone!
    This problem has been messing with me for the past 2 weeks and i am finally frustrated enough to ask this on a forum.

I have a HP 505B with win 7 pro 32 bit box that i am looking to image/ghost/backup/whatever other jargon there is the hard drive so that i can use the current configuration on the new 505b boxes coming in.
    The problem i keep running into is multiple issues.
    1) i tried the windows 7 system image/restore to carry settings to new computer to no avail.
    2) norton ghost: i created a backup of the hard drive, including the OS, and when i put it on the newest, fresh out of the box box, it left the factory installed windows on so whenever a user would try to sign on, they will have to choose either "windows 7" or "windows vista/server 2008/windows 7" option. i cannot have that. it needs to flow into the newly implanted image.
    3) on the original box, call it Alpha, i did dig around with ghost 15 and was able to select the files i wanted to backup. so i choose the ones i wanted to save (with the programs and data). but, when i went to Bravo box to load up the changed files, i couldnt find them using ghost. i can see them when i go through "my computer" to the * drive that has the eternal HDD on it.

so i am clueless. i dont know if the actions i am doing are counter active, if one of them is the right path and if i click on another set of buttons itll be good, or if i am just making harder for me to do than it really is.

my end result i would like to have happen is
    1) image the settings on the computer for the programs that i have installed and be able to put them on new computer

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice