1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost 15 versus Acronis True Image Home 2010

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by morland, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi,

I am making this posting after spending a good amount of time searching on the net and on this forum. I would like to go with one of these on my Windows 7 PC (64-bit). I know there's plenty of material out there but my questions are probably very basic and one's for which I could not find the answers. Hope to get help.

1. What is the difference between cloning and imaging. I thought these were the same thing
    2. I have been using Norton Ghost on XP for about 2 years and am inclined towards it.
    3. Which one produces small images when used with full compression
    4. Which one is faster
    5. Which one is faster
    6. While searching (before making this post) i came across the term SID and the sentence that "The Paragon and Norton Ghost both have a Change SID option". What is SID and what are the benefits of SID
    7. Norton Ghost 12 allows the user to boot from a CD and restore from a saved image. I assume Norton Ghost 15 also offers this feature? Does Acronis also offer this feature?
    8. Is it true that Norton Ghost is much easier/simpler to use than Acronis?

Will be very thankful for your help/reply/guidance.

P.S
    I would like to share 2 links with forum members that I came across and while doing this little research.
    Code:
    http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com
    http://www.osnn.net/submitted-news/98951-norton-ghost-v15-0-acronis-true-image-rant-review-new-ghost.html

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

1. Cloning is imaging, but it is done on the fly from one hard drive to another, a one step process to duplicate a hard drive.
    Imaging with either program allows you to make an image of the hard drive (one or all partitions and the MBR) and store it as a file on a hard drive or DVD's that can be restored to the hard drive any time you need to, I don't recommend DVD's as a backup media, I always use a USB external hard drive. Acronis allows you to mount this image as a drive letter and browse the contents of the image, this is great for when a hard drive dies on you, insert a new drive, boot from the rescue media and restore your latest image, boom you are back in business shortly. I don't know much about Ghost 15, but assume it is basically the same technology.

2. I have always used Acronis since ver 6, stay with what you are comfortable with.

3. Compression technology is most like very close on both products, the default compression in Acronis is very good, increasing it adds quite a bit of time and gains very little space, it is optimized for size and speed very well.

4, 5. I don't know for sure, I guess it depends on the task, I noticed that one article said Ghosts incremental backups are slower than Acronis.

6. SID duplication is a myth, see this article, so that is a worthless feature to help sell the product.
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

7. Yes Acronis has a bootable rescue media, you have to make one after installing the program.

8. Never used Ghost, Acronis is complex as you want it to be, but the defaults make it pretty easy to do most tasks.

Ghost 15 looks pretty nice, might give it a try.

The one thing Acronis really needs that Ghost 15 has

The ability to customize a recovery CD. Norton Ghost scans your Windows installation and automatically offers to add any relevant drivers (storage/RAID, networking) to a customized ISO

The chart on this page http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ is not comparing to Ghost 15, it must be an earlier version 14, it says it does not support Windows 7, but 15 does..

3. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thank you Mumbodog; for the detailed and useful reply and for sharing the article (link). Let me now go through that article now.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You are welcome, if you do buy Ghost 15, let us know what you think of it.

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

I sure will :)

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I use Acronis True Image. One feature I like is Try & Decide, Virtual environment for risk free testing of new software or visiting websites with potentially dangerous content.

Main problem with Acronis: pitiful excuse of a customer support! :rolleyes:

7. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info. Phantom010. That plus the very 1st reply from Mumbodog is something that sounds very useful. logging off now in about 15 minutes. Will post back with feedback.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!