1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost 2003: ghosting to multiple machines

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Viper, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

I have today placed an order for 40 new machines for my place of work. All are identical in spec. We want to set up one machine and then ghost the image to all of the other ones. We have Norton Ghost 2003.

The machines will be running Windows XP Pro. All are network ready.

What is the way (and easiest way) to go about the Ghosting process as we have only perviously Ghosted images for Win95/98 machines and using an old version of Ghost (v 5 I believe).

All advice appreciated.

2. TO Lady

TO Lady

You will need a newer version of Ghost which supports USB (as I assume this is the method you will use to transfer the image to all the other 39 machines). You will set up one machine, get it perfect - load all the software, tweak the settings, etc., and then ghost that onto any portable method, I doubt it will fit on one CD but might fit onto a DVD, I use an external maxtor drive. You will then just Ghost it onto all the other computers.

3. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

if you read above (soz), you will see that we have norton ghost 2003. this supports usb.

also, i know the general methods to ghost from one machine to another. however, when ghosting to windows xp, it requires that each computer has an SID and computer name (unique to them) for network access.

the standard methods of simply ghosting an image from one machine to another will not cut it.

4. TO Lady

TO Lady

Firstly I read too fast and didn't see the part where you had v2003. Just saw where you had v5.

Secondly, you have to Ghost the image to each computer as a stand-alone, and then once they're all done, connect each one to the network and re-configure (ie name, ID) for the network. No method of just load and play.

5. mad-martin

mad-martin

I did a similar job some time ago, and found it easiest to load the image via the network, and configure the network settings there and than.
    these days we get 1 system send, we create a ghost disk and the supplier loads this for us, as being part of the deal

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need GHOST Corporate version to legally use it for 40 machines, and the Corporate version will allow you to use GhostCasting to load a bunch of them at once over the network. Also, you'll want to use GhostWalker (also with the corporate version) to change the SID of each machine after the clone operation is completed.

7. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

when we get these computers, they will all be stand-alone initially.

one computer will be set up as the template. this image will then be ghosted. it's just from what i've been reading, the whole process of doing this for xp pro is not that simple.

what is the issue with sid's?

our network isn't that complicated. i mean, what we would do is just copy the image onto each machine....ideally we could do all at once - is this possible? and then configure each one's network settings.

saying that, by the sounds of it, by using sysprep and ghostwalker this can all be done automatically? :s

8. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

eek, i was worried about that. can we "illegally" :eek: use norton ghost 2003 to do the same job?

9. Kazrath

Kazrath

You will need to run Sysprep prior to creating the Image.

Sysprep is a Microsoft tool that reinitalizes the Driver database for each machine and correctly changes the SID's for a Windows XP machine.

Ghost walker "can" work but it is recommended that you use Sysprep.. I believe MS wont support a machine that did not have Sysprep ran prior to image creation regardless of disk cloning software you are using.

10. jameso321

jameso321

This sounds like a fun project.

I wish my clients would spring for 40 new machines!

I recommend using ghost Corp and also making sure you fully understand the Sysprep step.

The sysprep is the key.

Back in the day we would put images on a hard drive for ghosting or use CD's.

With Ghost Corp you have a wealth of options though.

If it was me I would use ghost image on a CD and maybe 10 systems at a time, but I get paid by the hour :)

1. Purchase Ghost Corp.
    2. Learn Sysprep
    3. Have fun!

some people have all the luck

jameso321

11. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

Ok, so, to clarify:

1. Get one computer and set up completely (as I would like all other computers)

2. Run Sysprep and set options for copying.

3. Create an image using *ahem* Norton Ghost 2003

4. Copy this image to a folder on the network server.

5. Go to 1st computer I want to setup. Insert network bootdisk to map to network drive. Reboot with ghost bootdisk? :s

6. Dump image to new computer

7. If used Sysprep to make a mini-setup, can create new SID on 1st boot? and hey bingo, that's it? Hmmm?

12. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

also, how does this work with unique IP addresses and computer names for the LAN?

presumably the IP address has to be set manually on each computer?

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you specify DHCP, the GHOST boot floppy will work without any fuss. You can also put the GHOST boot floppy on a bootable CD for a bit faster bootup. :)

14. jameso321

jameso321

As far as IP address is concerned small companies typically use DHCP to handle the IP assignments.

"Obtain IP address from DHCP server"

unless you have something setup for remote maintenance, as I do, the you have to assign all the IP address by hand. You would also do the DNS server info too.

Using the DHCP server is common and static is not common.

If there is a server in there, the servers are usually on a static, though.

######################

Viper, You have a nice plan there I would say go for it based on that plan.

You are using DOS network boot disks? I was the only person I knew that did that until now. These forums are cool

jameso321

15. jameso321

jameso321

Regarding computer name.

I think you give the computer its name on first boot.

Who here used sysprep a lot?

jameso321

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!