1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ramstein, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

Watch Out! Caution!
    My advice to anyone attempting to use this program from Norton to backup partitions is to be prepared for disaster.
    Once the temp DOS partition has been setup during the process of backup you will LOSE ALL YOUR DATA if the ghreboot.exe cannot restore your windows partition!
    Norton has made no provision for a system restore when this happens - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hmm... Used GHOST on dozens of such outings, I've yet to encounter a loss of data. The only issue like this I've seen is a system that had all partition slots filled, and GHOST couldn't setup a phantom DOS partition, it just kicked out an error and quit.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I've heard nothing but great things about ghost! Maybe it's just something about your computer ;)

4. PCvirgin

PCvirgin

Ramstein:
    I agree with you on this one.I have so bad luck using NAV programs and the ghost program is no exception.

5. PCvirgin

PCvirgin

I ment some instead of so. Please excuse my typos.

6. JohnWill

A tool is only as good as the workman. :)

7. DVOM

DVOM

If you run it from a diskette, it doesn't create the virtual partition.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Yea I've seen this happen, but you don't loose any data...

What happens is that Ghost doesn't set the Windows partition back as active, all you have to do is use gdisk to reset the partition as active...

Some more info...

Symantec 1

Symantec 2

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Great find Jedi ! I never doubted ghost for a minute :p

10. JohnWill

Or probably FDISK would work as well. :)

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy johnwill...

Never tried fdisk, allways used gdisk, but I did find something I didn't know, which may be the source for ramstein's problem...

Symantec

12. DVOM

DVOM

The only time I've seen a similar error is when I cloned my first partition to my second primary partition.

Ghreboot warned me before removing the virtual partition that: "There are no hidden partitions on this disk, windows may not start normally." (or similar message)

I then got a "continue or quit" option.

I chose "continue" but put in my BootMagic floppy before the machine rebooted to solve the "no hidden partition" problem.

BTW, if you have a look at the drive with PartitionMagic while the virtual partition is still on there, PM reads it as a corrupt partition table.

13. JohnWill

Those damned hidden partitions are the first to go when I setup a new machine! (n) Ditto the "recovery" partition! :mad:

I get the machine configured exactly how I want it, make a complete GHOST image, then use PM to kill off any extra partitions and size the remaining partitions as desired.

The HP machine I did recently started out at over 10gigs, and about 9gigs was useless demos and other junk! And, if you use the restore partition to "restore" it, they obligingly put all that junk back! (n)

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Hahaha :D

15. tdeyarmo

tdeyarmo

I am looking for a software package that will allow me to mirror an entire computer. I have about 40 ba-zillion identical dell computers that I need to upgrade from Windows95(and some 98) to Windows 2000.
    I purchased all the upgrade licenses and software, but my hopes are that this utility will allow me to copy the entire new operating system, along with the drivers and software too. Will Norton Ghost do this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice