Norton Ghost 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jraquel

Hello,

I purchased Norton Ghost some time back and have never used it. But I have a question, if some of you have used it.

Say my computer crashes and I get a new hard drive and want to put my original "stuff" on the new harddrive using the Ghost backup from my crashed computer. If the new HD does not have windows on it but does have dos, is it possible to restore the cds without using windows or must I install windows first?

If I install windows, will the restore write over the installed windows and put the one (windows OS) from my old computer on the new hd?

Thanks
Jraquel

Using Ghost to create a drive image, the entire contents and structure of the old drive are created on the new drive.

That includes Windows and all installed applications.

Ghost should make a rescue floppy to boot from to allow the transfer.

kiwiguy said:
Using Ghost to create a drive image, the entire contents and structure of the old drive are created on the new drive.

That includes Windows and all installed applications.

Ghost should make a rescue floppy to boot from to allow the transfer.
Could somebody tell us if they were happy with the results if they used Ghost 2003....also did they use partition magic 8.0? with WinXP?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've used GHOST 2003 and Partition Magic 8.x on XP-Pro and XP-Home without any issues. I've since upgraded to Acronis True Image to get around GHOST's lack of universal USB/Firewire drive support. If GHOST recognizes your backup device, you'll get a good backup.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online