Norton Ghost 9 Won't Do Incrementals?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Curly

Ghost 9 isn't doing scheduled incremental backups. I followed the recommendations from Symantec here, but it didn't help.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Win XP SP2

Try Acronis True Image

I have all versions of Ghost from early on to Ghost 9 and Acronis True Image has worked much better for me. The Ghost versions prior to Ghost 9 were pretty good but for what you want to do, you might like Acronis better. They have a trial version and is used to be fully functional for 30 or 45 days I think.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
dmullen said:
Try Acronis True Image

you might like Acronis better. They have a trial version and is used to be fully functional for 30 or 45 days I think.
Currently, the trial version is for 15 days. :rolleyes:

Question for you dmullen, I set up Ghost 2003 to clone my hard drive to an external usb hard drive, the estimated time started out at 33 hours and finally evened out at 12 hours after running for 30 minutes.

After 10 hours (real time) had elapsed, 7 hours showed as elapsed time :confused: it still had 5 hours remaining.

Did you ever have that experience with Ghost?

I downloaded the trial version of Acronis True Image and it cloned my hard drive in one hour. Awesome! (y) :D

I had the same experience with my USB 2.0 external drive (one I constructed). One day, I ran PCPitstop. It said there was a problem with the speed of my USB drive. It said it was only running at 3 bps.

I could not figure out how to fix it so I swapped the 160 gig drive (USB 2.0 only recognized about 120-130 gig of it) and the speed went from 3bps to 20+ bps.

Put the 160 gig drive into my computer (internal) and the full size was recognized. Now everything runs the way it is supposed to run.

When I get caught up a little, I want to find out why a newer, larger drive did not run properly as an external drive. Both drives are Western Digital.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
dmullen

What was the longest time you experienced cloning a hard drive?

It just does not seem to be a very effective backup solution if it takes more than half a day to perform a backup. :eek:

I can only say more power to you! on building your own external hard drive, not been there nor done that! :p

My images now take about 45 minutes per partition. My C: drive is about 15 gig of used space (programs). It takes longer than that if they are imaged directly to CDR or DVD because of disk swapping. It takes about an hour if going directly to either media.

When I tried it to the external USB drive and had that problem, it probably would have taken several hours but I just gave up on imaging to it until the problem was fixed.

I have 3 hard drives (2 internal and one external) and the internal drives are partitioned into 2 drives each.

I only image the C: drive and the other drives are used for data and disk images and backed up instead of imaged.

It is easier and cheaper to just backup the important data files on the other partitions than it would be to image them with the same frequency.

The disk images are usually created on one of the partitions and I break them up into 700 meg files so that I can put them on CDR when I have time.

I also copy them from there to DVD's sometimes but I have several thousand blank CDR's and have to buy the DVD's so usually they go onto the CDR's.

Selected folders and files get backed up from those partitions with a program (freeware) called Cobian Backup and it compresses the folders and files into zip files. You set up "tasks" in that program to either backup files or folders in each task. It can be scheduled and it too does incremental and differential backups. I must have 30-40 tasks in my backup set that is run 2-3 times a week.

When I said I built an external drive, it was kind of misleading. I bought an external enclosure a couple of years ago but never used it. Finally, one day, when I had an extra hard drive, I put it into that enclosure and set it up. It is not very hard to do and it ran fine.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Thanks for sharing dmullen!

I wondered if the process would be faster using an internal hard drive or an external hard drive.

I'll have to give it a try again when I get my new internal hard drive.

If your external drive is running right, there probably would not be much difference.

You could try

www.PCPitstop.COM

and see whether it gives you a message like the one I got. It is free and only takes a few minutes.

Until that day, I knew it was slow but just figured that was just part of having a USB drive. I was wrong. With USB 2.0, they run pretty well. That message finally got me to looking around and trying to improve it.

FYI - Newegg has Acronis TrueImage for only $29.99 for download. No tax. No shipping

Curly

I tried Acronis trial version. It does create incrementals as it should. However, it will not create an bootable CD. I have Ahead InCD installed, so I followed all the suggestions of creating a bootable Acronis rescue CD.

Nothing worked. I need a bootable CD to test these images -- this is a must. I'd hate to purchase ANOTHER backup image creater only to find out that the images don't work . . .

Curly

How do any of these backup image creators -- Ghost, Acronis, Windows Backup -- know what files need to be backed up in an incremental. Is a (for a lack of a better term) master file that records the back up status of each file?

If so, maybe deleting it could solve my Ghost problem.

Curly said:
I tried Acronis trial version. It does create incrementals as it should. However, it will not create an bootable CD. I have Ahead InCD installed, so I followed all the suggestions of creating a bootable Acronis rescue CD.

Nothing worked. I need a bootable CD to test these images -- this is a must. I'd hate to purchase ANOTHER backup image creater only to find out that the images don't work . . .
Not really sure what exactly you mean by the bootable image. True, you can not put the image on the same cd as the bootable program. True Image will create a bootable cd that will load the program. Then, after the program is loaded into memory, you can swap the cd for the one that contains your image file. I know, in Norton Ghost, you could put them all on one bootable cd.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Curly said:
How do any of these backup image creators -- Ghost, Acronis, Windows Backup -- know what files need to be backed up in an incremental. Is a (for a lack of a better term) master file that records the back up status of each file?

If so, maybe deleting it could solve my Ghost problem.
I just created a Bootable CD using Acronis True Image Trial.
The first four times I tried, I kept receiving the Error burning the bootable CD message.

Then I visited the Wilder's Security Forums where it was stated to use an Unformatted CD-R\RW.
Success! I have not yet tested the CD.

Curly

edbro9 said:
Not really sure what exactly you mean by the bootable image.
I didn't say "bootable image". I said bootable CD and image -- two entirely separate things. The bootable CD is used to boot a system that cannot boot into Windows so the image(s) can be restored.

I know Ghost has a Recovery CD that provides a GUI for restoration. What does Acronis have -- it will not allow me to create the boot CD.

EAFiedler said:
... it was stated to use an Unformatted CD-R\RW.
I tried two CD/RWs and one CD -- all new, never used. What is an "unformatted" CD?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online