Norton Ghost Cloned HD not bootable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulboca

I decided that I had too much junk in my HD and registry so I di a complete new install of WindowsXP Home. As I was doing this and then installing all of my software I had not realized that my flash drive was plugged in and WinXP then named my HD drive F: So everything is now on drive F: and working well (I think).
In the new install, XP created my HD NTFS. Now, I used ghost to clone my HD. XP called the backup drive C: Backup finished fine, BUT, when I switch drives and put the backup in only, the computer will not boot up. I get to the blue Welcome screen and that is where is sits. I tried the ghost GhReboot.exe program, but no help. Please tell me how to make my backup drive bootable.
:confused:

jiml8

All your shortcuts point to drive F and your backup drive, which is now called C: has not been set as bootable.

If I were you I would just accept drive F as my system drive and not worry about it.

If you MUST have drive C as your system drive, then you need to run fdisk /mbr to set a master boot record for your C drive. You probably will then need to edit boot.ini on the root of that drive (not positive about that) to point to the proper boot drive.

Finally, you will need to use the ZDNet COA (Change of Address) utility to change all the entries in your registry from F: to C:

That utility is a bit hard to find. You can find a full description on the ZDNet software utilities site, but the download page is missing. I found a downloadable copy here:

http://htmole.altervista.org/info/coa2.htm

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with it. I have systems that boot from all over the place, and it just doesn't matter.

It is possible to change the letter of your system drive through disk management. I have done it quite a few times after re-imaging drives.

crjdriver

What exactly do you want to do?

Do you want your system drive to be C or do you want to make a clone of the disk for backup purposes?

XP called the backup drive C:
I think you have a case of drive letter confusion. You cannot let XP assign a drive letter to a drive before you clone it. The disk ID of the drive is assigned C in XP's registry, but all the references to Windows point to F.

Remove the drive, boot original Windows, and check in Disk Management, that the second drive is gone. Shut down, install the second drive, and clone with DOS Ghost floppy. Do Not Reboot. Remove the Xp drive and put the clone in its place. Now reboot the clone.

moper

paulboca

I am willing to accept HD as drive F: Everything weems to work well with it. When I clone to a backup drive, it it seems to clone fine. Then I shut down system and switch drives. Pull out main drive and put cloned drive in and then reboot. But all it does is go thru the BIOS, WinXP screen and gets to the Welcome screen and sits their. Never goes further. Cannot figure out what is going on. :eek:

crjdriver

Did you have any partition on the drive you were cloning to?

The destination drive should be blank; nothing on it at all.

If there were partitions on the destionation drive, you will need to set it as active.

If you let XP record the drive signature of that drive before it is cloned, confusion results. You said XP assigned it the letter C. This also gets cloned. Maybe This Link, can explain it better than I can.

moper

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The FDISK /MBR works great, that's the method I use to clear out the signature bytes.

Yes, the Fdisk /mbr command will force XP to regenerate disk signatures and reassign drive letters. But what if XP doesn't redetect itself as the F drive. Still won't boot. After running Fdisk, you may have to use Savepart to specify the boot drive as F.(Method 1 in the link I provided)

moper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online