1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

norton ghost error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ahhoe, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I get an error when i am ghosting my harddisk halfway.
    "WRITE TO CD-R DISC FAILED. aPLLICATION ERROR 12020"
    and it will jump out of the ghost screen.

The pc i am using is a --P4-1.6Ghz, 386 DDR RAM, MSI motherboard, 20G 7200 rpm harddisk, Acer 16 x 10 x 32 CDRW drive and using win98.

I have tried using different brands of CDRs (actually 5 different ones) bu the error still appear. I noticed that while the boot disk was star5ting up, there a line that says " SYSTEM COMPONENT NOT INSTALLED"

Could someone help me on this..
    :(

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

I reaaly don't think you can write to a CD-R in DOS unless there are some specific drivers loaded. Are you spanning CD's or will the contents of your drive fit on one CD?

4. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

It sounds like you are using a ghost boot disc created using PC DOS. Try making a new boot disc using MSDOS and give it another try. Also make sure your using CD-R/RW discs for computer writers and not CD-R disc for audio (For use with home stereo audio writers).
    You should not need to use a spanning switch in the comand line. Ghost will let you know when it's time to put in another disc.

5. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

i am ghosting all my harddisk into 1 disc.

How do i create a boot disk in dos? sorri huh, i seldom play with my pc, so i don't know much command. Yupez, i am using the CDR for data storage .

6. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

i create the ms-dos boot disk. When i reboot, i don't get the error "System Compoent Not Installed"
    But my CDR burning still hangs with the error "Write to CDR disc failed. Application error 12020"

I read the symantec site and disabled power-saving mode and connect the CDRW drive and harddisk on two different connections. But i still can't get the burning process to complete successfully. It process goes lik these...Reading MS-Dos....Coping Ghost boot disk... and then half way comes the error message"

7. Rockn

Rockn

What version of Ghost are you using? Directly from Symantec:

"Ghost version
    Symantec Ghost 7.5, Symantec Ghost 7.0, Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition, Norton Ghost 2001, and Norton Ghost 2002 can create image files and save them directly to supported CD-R and CD-RW drives . Earlier Ghost versions cannot. "

Sounds like your drive might not be on the list of supported CDR's

HERE

8. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Here is another link for trouble shooting CD-R/RW Drive Problems.

9. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

i am using the ghost that comes with norton systemworks 2002

10. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Here's another link that refers to your error message.
    Click Here

I hope it helps

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/76218