1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost Help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rollin_Again, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Thread Starter

I am trying to make a ghost image of an IBM laptop for my boss. This laptop contains a "hidden" recovery partition that is used to restore Windows in case of a system crash.

Does anyone know if this hidden partition will be included in the Ghost image? Is this hidden partition required for the laptop to boot and run? Can it be deleted? What is the correct way to create a working image of a computer containing one of these hidden partitions? Any help or advice regarding these hidden partitions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - I have no recovery CD with the laptop but my boss does have a brand new Windows 2000 installation CD.

I should have completely formatted the disk (including the hidden partition) and done a fresh Windows 2000 install before installing all her software. Then I could have made an image of the disk that didn't contain a hidden partition. I didn't do that and now I don't know how to deal with this hidden partition.

Thanks,
    Rollin

2. necro95

necro95

Hi, if you do not need this partition, then I suggest using partion magic to delete it.
    As for the ghost, most probably what happen was that the image was create using the "Disk to Image" option. This option would dump the entire disk info into a gho image file. When you ghost to the new HDD, you probably had to choose the "Disk from image" option. That would result in the Diagnostic partition to be created. The correct method for creating a gho image with only specific drive info would be using the "Partition to Image" option and then when ghosting to a new HDD, the "Partion from Image option"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!