Norton ghost problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lisaa7002

Hey guys. I have a Dell with it's original 30GB HD & a second 80GB HD that I installed. I want to ghost my 30GB to my 80 so that I can give the kids the Dell & Use the 80GB & some spare parts to have a puter built for me.

I have tried several times to both backup or clone but it always just says it was done with errors. The folders where the ghost file is supposed to be is just empty. What am I missing? Any Ideas??? I have wondered about the installation of the second HD. It is listed in "my computer" & I can go in & work with stuff from it, but if I install a game to it, & go & try to play it later it wants me to install it again... any ideas??? Thanks bunches! Lisa

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, when you do a clone with GHOST, you want to start with no drive letter assigned to the drive. If it has a drive letter, when you do the clone, XP will be confused and attempt to logon to the incorrect drive, and you'll have a boot loop.

Are you just trying to backup the 30gig drive to an image, or are you trying to clone it so you can boot from the 80gig drive?

Note that you can't run the same copy of XP on two machines, since you won't be able to activate the second copy. You need your own copy of XP for the "collection of parts".

lisaa7002

Thanks! I want to keep the XP on the 80Gb I am going to install the kid's HD from their computer & it has win 98se on it. Will that work?

lisaa7002

I want to boot from the 80. How do I get the drive to not have a letter?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Disk Management, and remove the drive letter. Alternatively, what I do is remove all the partitions from the new drive and create the boot partition when I do the clone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online