1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alanh, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Can anyone help me make the following choices to make the Ghost boot floppies and then burn a multi CD image of 10GB of hard drive files, so that I could later [as a test] upload that image to a different HDD and boot on it as if it was the original HDD cloned at the time I burned the CDs?

1. PCDOS vs. MSDOS? I run WIN98SE on a pentium4. What difference does this DOS choice make? The MSDOS route looks more complex. Why do they even make this a choice?

2. Should the Ghost Boot floppy disk have CD-ROM support or not, or do I really need one with and one without CD-ROM support to get all the way thru this process of upload and boot on a new HDD? The RAD guide gives an example where both are required, but is that for me? If so, which do I use when?

3. I want to be able to operate ghost from DOS with a mouse. How do I ensure that mouse drivers are loaded? Is this a DOS command or something?
    4. Should I make the CD bootable or not? I just want to get the image file from CDs to a HDD and make the HDD boot--so wouldn't an exact image of my first HDD, if faithfully loaded to a second HDD [cloned to the HDD from an image file] boot and run perfectly? Does making the CD's themslves bootable mean I use more CDs to burn the image?

5. How do I enable and manage spanning? Obviously I have to span the 10GB image across 10 or more CDs if using fast compression, but do I have to enter ghost with some carefully typed "-span,x.y.z" kind of command or will the program prompt me about this? If it asks me "the location of the next span of the image file" [this is right out of their piece of ---- users guide], what do I say?

2. DVOM

DVOM

Some of this depends on what version of Ghost you're using. I'm using 2003.

1) I don't think DOS version matters but I use MS-DOS. Apparently some machines won't boot to PC-DOS.

2) Just make the floppy support CD-ROM. You can go either way with just the one floppy.

3) I believe that Ghost 2003 automatically puts the mouse driver on the floppy.

4) Making your CD's bootable means you don't need a floppy when restoring an image. I make all my CD's bootable. It just adds another 1.3MB to the first CD.

5) With Ghost 2003 spanning is automatic between CD's. The program will tell you when another CD is needed.

3. raybro

raybro

Total agreement with what DVOM said. Additionally... The number of CD's required is dependant on the amount of data on the drive, not the size of the drive itself. this morning I ghosted a 80G drive that only had about 1.4 G of data on it. It took 2 CD's. I'm also using Ghost 2003.

4. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Thanks raybro amd dvom. I'm on the cloned drive now and the backup was a success.

for others:
    1. need the Standard ghost boot floppy and the 3rd choice ""CD-ROM Boot Disk". to do this
    2. If you boot on the CD drive it works for the first cd when cloning to the backup HDD, but failed for me twice at the end of the second of 13 cds. It could not find a ghost file that I'll guess was burned on CD #1 , but not the others
    3. Booting on the "CD-ROM Boot Disk". is what finally did it and allowed Ghost to both find its files and find the image files on CD and decompress and write all 13 of them to the HDD.

Kudos and grats.

Alan

5. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Forgot to mention: My Ghost is version 2002. More crude, but mangeable ., thanks to the support of the tSG community.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!