1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Ghost using TCP/IP PCMCIA Card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wino, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wino

Wino Thread Starter

Having used Norton Ghost (2001/2002/2003) using wired TCP/TP to image HDD to another computer or to clone a Disk, I'm at a loss why I can't do the same with one laptop using PCMCIA slot and wired card (the Compaq laptop does not have a NIC connection built in). I make the TCP/IP PtoP boot disk and when I try to boot into Ghost, I get a message " can't find the adapter or it's configuration space", then an error: 33 unable to bind, so when it gets into Ghost the TCP/IP is not available to use. I have to use the Ghost NIC template to create as the card is not one that Ghost recognizes. It's almost like it cannot find the PCMCIA slot during boot. I've added to the template autoexec. bat strings to no avail - tried entering MAC address, etc. - all to naught. This is with WIN98se.

Had the same identical problem with my S-I-L's laptop (XP Pro). Have one SMC and one Belkin PCMCIA card and results the same with both. Again, appears it cannot find the PCMCIA slot, BTW, have the same problem on both laptops trying to use wireless TCP/IP (tried that just to see if I could - wouldn't use it to actually operate Ghost for fear of bad transfer of data, since wireless so erractic at times).

I've looked thru post here and tried to disable plug&play in BIOS of Compaq laptop - but it doesn't even have the option. Did remove P&P from Windows in Add/Remove Windows components - to no avail.

If anyone has a clue, I'm all ears.

All the other machines (used successfully) have PCI NIC's (wired). My Gateway laptop has the NIC connection and a PCMCIA slot. The wired connection works fine, but when trying the card, same old same old as with the other two laptops. In short, just problem with the PCMCIA connected. Have been at this off and on for 4 days now, so really frustrated. :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

GHOST uses DOS, and there are not DOS drivers for your wireless network card. Most wired NIC's have DOS drivers, however some don't.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If it is important to make regular images of your laptop, you might consider getting an adapter that lets you connect your laptop's hard drive to a regular IDE cable in a desktop computer.

A little less convenient than you wanted, but a lot better than doing a fill reinstall if it crashes.

4. Wino

Wino Thread Starter

Understand the DOS drivers and they are installed on the template for the wired SMC or Belken PCMCIA NIC. As I stated, no problem using GW laptop which has a standard PCI NIC connection. The Compaq has no on board NIC, so have to use wired NIC PCMCIA. When using the wired PCMCIA on all three laptops, cannot bind and TCP/IP not available in Ghost when booted. I suspect that if I get the right string included in the ADVANCE tab of Ghost template for config and autoexec.bat it will force the machines to load the PCMCIA slot location - just can't figure out what these should be. When booting the screen shows the PCMCIA NIC being used (SMC or Belkin), but appears it cannot find the location of the PCMCIA slot and unable to bind.

5. Wino

Wino Thread Starter

I do that with the four (3-PC and 1-GW laptop) using the onboard NICs wired with no problem - it's when I try the wired NIC in PCMCIA slot on the Compaq, Gateway & Averatec laptops that fails. I have the 2.5 adapter and can install in removal HDD tray I have on all my PC's, but removing/installing the HDD from the Compaq is a major PITA. If the Compaq had a CD-R (just has CD-ROM), I would settle for that and move on, but it doesn't. There has to be a way to get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized during Ghost boot sequence - I just haven't found that key.

6. storage_man

storage_man

Wino

I have also had the same problem. I have a IBM thinkpad. I also have 2 PCMIA cards - One a SCSI card and two a USB 2.0 card. I found on the IBM thinkpad support site, DOS drivers for the PCMIA slot (You need to have these and they need to be from the MFG of the laptop. Each Laptop has its own proprietary support for PCMIA). Loading these drivers and then the Adaptec DOS SCSI drivers, allows the thinkpad to access all of my scsi devices in DOS and by the way with Ghost 2003.

But wanting to use my USB 2.0 PCMIA card with my External usb drives, didn't work. None of the DOS USB drivers that I have found have been able to communicate with the IBM PCMIA drivers. All of the DOS USB drivers fail when attempting to access the PCMIA USB 2.0 card, but they all find the on-board USB 1.1 slots that came orginally on my laptop. What I'm saying is that if you can find the PCMIA slot drivers, your Network DOS drivers MAY WORK. Hope this helps

Storage_man

7. Wino

Wino Thread Starter

storage_man - you were on the right track - I won't go thru all the mess I've been thru and got really close to making it work, finally conceding defeat - I did get the TCP/IP to hilite finally, but would not communicate with the slave machine. Both the Belkin and SMC install disk have an PCMCIA enabler program and you have to install the program .exe on the Ghost Boot Disk and enter a string in boot disk configure to fire the program during boot sequence. Was sucessful with the SMC card, never could get the Belkin to work. Symantec says in all probability, chances are it will never work! I'm convinced!! may try again someday, but too wore out to continue!! :D

I do appreciate your response as it gave me renewed energy to keep trying and almost made the grade.

8. storage_man

storage_man

I had to do a update for this thread. I just completed an eval for Acronis True Image and am happy to report if you need to image or clone a drive with the target drive attached via USB 2.0 thru a PCMIA card on a laptop, True Image Works. This is in both Windows and the True Image Stand alone recovery environment.

Storage_man

9. JohnWill

This is the reason that I've dropped GHOST and started using Acronis True Image all around. Their "recovery CD" is Linux based, and has much better driver support for all the odd-ball network hardware.

10. Wino

Wino Thread Starter

Gentlemen, thank you for the info - looks like I will be doing a bit of shopping, having just completed an all nighter trying to get Ghost to work again on a clean install of XP on one of my machines. The aggravation with Ghost has reached my limits. Understand the new 2004 Ghost has the activation requirement and is no longer supplied with NSW Pro. Symantec is losing a bunch of business here (5-machines) - have also dropped their anti-virus as the subscription renewals have gone out of sight cost wise (now $30).

Again, thanks for the responses.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

When Ghost went to GUI I could no longer forgive them anymore... I mean comeon who wants to have to INSTALL software onto a PC just to make a ghost backup? I am still using Ghost Coprerate 8.0 and won't change unless I have to at that point I bet 10 to 1 it won't be a symantec product.

Wake up and stop the bloatware and add the simple support features.

BTW whenever I work with network cards I work off a standard dos network boot disk and then rip out whats not needed to fit ghost on there. Seems to work much better than trying to have ghost do it for you.

I'll have to look at this other program you guys mentioned as well. Always nice to have new tools lying around.

12. JohnWill

I believe Acronis True Image still has a trial package, so you can actually see if it'll support some of the odd-ball configurations.

13. JPar

JPar

Norton Ghost has a weird workaround for this. What's happening is, when the boot disk is being created, the DRIVERNAME field in the protocol.ini file is being left empty. The fix for this is, when creating an NDIS2 boot disk, point the file to the appropriate DOS driver (almost every decent NIC card out there has one, including PCMCIA cards). Then, in the Driver Name field, type in the following string: DRIVERNAME$

For example, if the driver file you use was e1000.dos, then you would type e1000$ into the driver name field.

If you already made a boot disk and are getting the "Error 33" message when booting, then simply edit the protocol.ini file on the boot disk using notepad. Add the DRIVERNAME$ variable after DRIVERNAME = in the file and save it. That should fix whatever problems you're having.

14. JohnWill

Or just use a package that you don't have to edit the driver initialization files to get it to work. :D

15. Toddles18

Toddles18

In my shop we just use Brads network boot disk. http://www.netbootdisk.com/ It autodetects most NIC's out there. Once it loads the driver we map a drive to the network share and run ghost.exe across the network. Works great.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice