1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

norton go back causes windows not to see other drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ltlcc, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltlcc

ltlcc Thread Starter

I had a new hard drive installed because the original one had a conflict somehow and would not recognize my usb ports. After the new drive installation, I was able to access my files on first drive. Installed Norton System Works 2004, including Norton Go Back on new drive. I installed a update from Microsoft, (I thought to be SP2). and my machine never rebooted to windows after that. Spent hours on line with tech24, and finnaly they decided I should reformat the new Master Drive. After that, and installing Windows XP Pro on formatted drive, windows did not recognize the other drive. The Drive shows up In disk management. The Drive shows up in Bios, and at startup. I saw somewhere that Go Back changed the MBR, and that was the problem. Does anyone know how to restore the MBR and not lose all my files on the old drive. I Do not want to reformat!!! If I have to, I will take the drive to someone to recover, but seems like there is a simpler way.

2. Arky

Arky

It's been a while, but I recall that the MBR can be purged of the GoBack stuff with

FDISK /MBR

after uninstalling GoBack. You can get FDISK on a floppy by downloading the W98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. A point of curiosty: why would you ever put GoBack on an XP system when you already have Restore?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!