1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton GoBack

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moranacus, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moranacus

moranacus Thread Starter

I have the last version of GoBack which was put out by Roxio. Would I benefit upgrading to the Norton GoBack program? I've only tried one other Norton product in the past and didn't like it too well!!!!

2. raybro

raybro

I cannot say whether upgrading would be of any practical advantage because I have not tried it. I tend to stick with something that works and GoBack v3.0 (the original Roxio version) has worked for me with unfailing consistency. One rule dominates my actions... If it aint broke, don't fix it.

In addition to this, I would advise that, IMHO, Norton has screwed up every software they have taken over.

Raybro

3. moranacus

moranacus Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!!!! Thats what I thought.

4. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

5. chrishteenie

chrishteenie It's My Birthday!

What if you uninstalled a program and want it back but you don't have Norton Go Back installed? I do have Norton though.

6. moranacus

moranacus Thread Starter

How does Norton GoBack work if you install a program, you don't like it and want to goback before it was installed? My the GoBack program I have I basically have to remember the time before installed the program and revert the whole harddrive.
    Do you actually have to revert the whole harddrive with Norton GoBack?

7. raybro

raybro

Using the Deluxe Edition of GoBack, here is what I do routinely.

I have many times downloaded and installed a utility or other program that I later decided I did not want. Rather than going through the usual uninstall process (which many times leaves some residue), I click on the GoBack tray icon and select Advanced Features. This brings up a menu of full history recorded by GoBack. Scroll thru the list until you where you installed the program you don't want, then highlight a Safe Point prior to that event. Now click the Revert Drive button at the bottom of the window. Your computer will reboot and you are back to where you were before the installation.

This feature is not present in the Personal Edition version of GoBack which comes bundled with some progs (like Norton SystemWorks). The Personal edition has only a revert times menu of points that you can revert to. One must know the exact time and date when you installed the program you don't want. If you do know the time, that works too.

You do have to revert the entire drive, but the Deluxe Edition allows you to retrieve files you do not want to lose. The Personal Edition does not. One way around this is to do another revert and Go Back forward to the point when you did the original revert and save the file(s) you don't want to ,lose to external media (CD, Floppy, DVD, etc.), then revert the drive again to the desired point. You can go back and forth like that using GoBack. Hope I explained that clearly... It's kinda like a time machine.

Raybro

8. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

Perhaps Symantec has done away with versions such as personal and delux. I have Norton System Works and Goback has the advanced features included. It also has a feature called Safe Try Mode. It is handy if you want to be sure to create a restore point before trying new software.

9. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

Basically, you revert the whole harddrive but can rescue any files you want. After reverting the hardrive, there is File And Version Rescue and Post Restore File Rescue options that you can use if you would like to restore a file that you created after the reverted the hard drive point. I have used it a couple of times and it works.

10. moranacus

moranacus Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!!!! I don't think my Roxio GoBack program has the Safe Try Mode
    feature. When I installed a program I don't like I sometimes just can't go back 5 to 10 minutes before I installed the progam. I need to back an hour or more.

11. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

You need Goback if you don't want to reinstall the program the usual way and you act before the buffer overwrites the history.

12. chrishteenie

chrishteenie It's My Birthday!

Nevermind I did a system restore but thanks anyway.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice