1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton & I E Script Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by judyzip, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. judyzip

judyzip Thread Starter

Norton One Button Check scheduled during night. This a.m. an Internet Explorer Script Error message says:

An error has ocurred in the script on this page.
    Line: 52
    Char: 3
    Error: Object doesn't support the property or method.
    Code: 0
    URL: res://C:\PROGRAM%20FILES\NORTON%20SYSTEMWORKS\SWPLUGIN.DLL/scanners.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? [Yes] [No]

Don't know what should I answer, and I also don't know if the error message originated from Norton or not, but assume it did as it occured in the middle of the night.
    Can anyone explain?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Judy
    If script debugging and notification is enabled you will receive these messages periodically. They are not caused by your system but are caused by scripting errors on the webpage you are attempting to view. Here is a pic on how to remove the notification and script debugging option in Interent options.
    I highlighted the one that is directly affecting you and the one directly above it should have a tick in the box.
    Let us know if that corrects your problem.
    Dave

Attached Files:

3. judyzip

judyzip Thread Starter

Hi Davey,
    Thanks for the prompt reply, but it did not solve the problem.
    My Internet Options are already set according to the display you sent. I think the "key" to the problem may be in the last portion of the URL message "..... /scanners.htm " as I was not surfing the net at the time the error message came up.

I recently disabled "Pagis SE" from the Start Up menu as it's scan function did not appear to work, and I have other scanner software anyway. Could Norton have picked up an error? The task scheduler ran Norton Antivirus and then One Button Check was to run next, except the IE Script Error box was there. I moved the box and ran Norton Check, and when I closed Norton the Script Error box closed with it, without me selecting either Yes or No.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Judy
    Truely sorry I misread the url called. If I would of looked closer I would of seen it was a resident. Here is the fix for the problem.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Dave

Click Here Article

5. judyzip

judyzip Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, I typed the URL message into my browser, and got the Norton "Page" graphics for One Button Check. Perhaps the script error is on that page? That would explain why the error message popped up in front of the One Button Check screen.

If so, how to correct it if I get it again?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Judy
    According to the Article by Symantec the cause of the error is an old Scanwrap.dll existing on your system during load. The fix is to uninstall system works, download their clean up program, rename the dll and reinstall system works.
    Dave

7. judyzip

judyzip Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.
    I pasted my previous comments before I saw your reply. I read through the info at Symantec, and I'll save it for reference. It's curious that the older version scenario could apply, seeing as I just did a format on Drive C and re-installed all programs.....so, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach, and if I get the message again, I'll look at the fix then.
    Thanks for all your help.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Judy
    It wouldn't make sense if yours was a fresh install after format however if the same dll is corrupt for some reason the same could apply. The alternative would be to take one button check out of the run and run that manually. Also Norton has been known to not fully explain or followup on some fixes if they are minor.
    Dave

9. judyzip

judyzip Thread Starter

Dave,
    Very good, thanks for Norton info tip, and thanks again for all the prompt replies and your help in finding the solution.
    Another Happy MS User, Judy

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice