1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton INS 2008?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sailoff, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sailoff

sailoff Thread Starter

I just upgraded my wifes computer to Norton INS 2008 from the 2007 version. It appears all went well, however there is no icon showing up in the system tray. The only icon that shows is live update in programs, and live update 3.2 in the Add/Remove programs.
    Also, the left arrow button on the system tray is missing since this install and I can't expand the tray window to see if the Symantec icon is hiding.
    Should I uninstall and reinstall?

XP Pro

2. Lionheart12

Lionheart12

This seems to be a common problem with Norton security products. You can read my post titled Norton 360 2.0 where I describe a problem similar to yours. One thing you can do is to restart your computer to see if the icon appears. You can also try right clicking the blue bar at the bottom of your screen and then clicking properties, customize and see if that helps.

The last and probable best solution is to reinstall. This is the solution they give to most of their customers. I know because I went through the same problem you did a while back.

3. Michael York

Michael York

Hi sailoff,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting about Norton Internet Security 2008. There are options in Norton Internet Security that must be enabled for the icon to display. Please follow these steps to enable these options.

1. Click Start->All program->Norton Internet Security, and then choose Norton Internet Security from the sub-menu.

2. In the left pane of the window, click on "Options," and then choose "Norton internet Security." You should now see the "General Options: Settings tab.

3. Halfway down this page, you will see the "How to change your tray icon settings." make sure there are check marks next to both of these options, then click the "Apply" button and then "OK."

Please try these steps and respond back to this thread and let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thank you,
    Mike

4. sailoff

sailoff Thread Starter

Mike,
    I did get this fixed by rebooting.

Thanks, John

5. Michael York

Michael York

Hi John,

Thank you for the update, and I'm glad to hear that it was a simple reboot need to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice