1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Internet Security 2004

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by divinebeauty, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. divinebeauty

divinebeauty Thread Starter

I have Norton Internet Security 2004, usually when I log on the computer, it loads right? but today it didn't load, so I just opened it from the desktop. And the last time I logged in I Disabled the Security, because for this site I was on. Now its still disabled and I don't know how to turn it on again. Usually it loads and its already enabled..

2. natcom

natcom

click on start run type msconfig on the startup tab make sure that all is check for symantec + click on services tab put a check on hide all microsoft services and make sure all is check for symantec then rigth click on my computer click on manage computer management services and applications on the services make sure all symantec services are running

3. divinebeauty

when I go to the start up tab, theres no symantec thing there..., when I go to the service tab, some of the symantec things, aren't running, it says stopped. Where is "my computer" do I go out of the msconfig thing for it?

4. mach9

mach9

divinebeauty- I think he is saying right click on the MyComputer icon (desktop? or Startup menu).

5. natcom

natcom

that is the reason why Norton Internet Security 2004 wont startup some services are stop you most enable then

6. bobol

bobol

yes. normally NIS re-enables on reboot, that's odd... what site did you go to... maybe nortons reconfigured due to that site.
    First go to the NIS window... bring up options at the top, then go to;
    Norton Internet Security;
    then the General tab;
    then in top section Start Norton Int.Security .... select;
    At System start(recommended)

ps. are you using xp/xp pro/w2k??

To navigate to use natcom's tip, go to
    start/control panel/ performance and maintenance/administrative tools/ computer management and/or services

in addition perhaps run spybasher tools-adaware/spybot/ and spyware blaster[links below]
    Let us know if further assistance needed.

7. divinebeauty

Where is the NIS Window?? I'm using xp home edition.

8. divinebeauty

Can anyone help??

9. divinebeauty

Bobol I tried what you said, but when I went to Options --> Norton Internet Security, I got an error message, it said:
    You have insufficient privileges to complete this operation.

I think its because I'm supposed to be logged in the NIS. Where it says "Settings For:" and next to it, theres a drop down menu to choose the user to log in with. But the drop down menu is disable, like it won't let me choose. And it says "user is not logged in or"

10. bobol

bobol

ummm,sorry about delay.... i can only assume you created several profiles with which to use NIS, and perhaps you are logging in with a profile that doesn't have 'administrator' privileges with NIS... is that the case?

ps. what was the site you disabled NIS at?... or why did you need to disable security....if it was a firewall issue, there's the option to allow a site to bypass the firewall, without the hazard of totally disabling your security while online... if you wish I'll post that procedure[ez 2 do]

11. bobol

bobol

ok try this, go to NIS window, in the top half in the security section, go to User accounts//click on administrator to hilight it, then click properties below, then at the bottom of the window tick the box for Make this the startup account... make sure you have supervisor privileges too assigened for that user.

12. divinebeauty

To answer your previous post, no I am not even logged in NIS. I disabled NIS at www.jassy-boards.com because I wanted to view the forum's today posts, so I disabled NIS.

Okay, I went to NIS --> User accounts, and it said Customize internet access for each individual in your household.

Not logged on.

So I clicked the Log on... button.
    Account Name: Supervisor
    That was the only choice for account name.

So I chosed it.
    And then on the NIS window it showed:
    Name: Type:
    Not Logged on Child
    Supervisor Supervisor (Start up account)

Theres no administrator account..

13. bobol

bobol

want to do the norton's reinstall? You can choose the lighter reinstall where you save user settings.... Put in your NIS cd and follow the instructions;

also go to this symantec link for possible solutions;
    one sec- edit

14. bobol

bobol

can you delete that jassy website cookie from temp.internet files folder, in internet options-maybe delete offline content too while there. Then see if you can re enable NIS.

*******Also did you run those spyware tools I mentioned*******

here's a symantec link, at their search location- start with this one;
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...882569f10081bda6?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    then
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256dfa00666484?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    and
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256d64007a1fa4?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

I see not logged on child-is that via parental control wizard? If so switch user to using windows account in that section, rather than a created NIS account if you have that.

in future-Make a rule in the anti-virus section to permit the site to be accessible, rather than disable the whole NIS security function.
    to do this , open NIS
    go to Anti-virus section
    then in Privacy Control Section select Advanced
    in there type the full website AND /OR ALSO its non- hyperlink name,for a site you deem ok to be bypassed by firewall..
    ie www.ABC.com.... then again type, ABC.com
    [ie,After you click OK, the new site appears highlighted in the site list in the left frame.
    If NIS does not accept the site name, type the entire URL except for http:// and the ending slash '/' ]

15. divinebeauty

I tried to open my NIS, and theres this error so I went to the norton site and did what it said to fix it, and it did fix it, except when I try to turn NIS on, like enable it, doesn't work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!