Norton Internet Security 2006 Uninstall/Install Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Met Man

For the last year, we had Norton Internet Security 2005 on our PC (Windows XP Service Pack 2). No problems. About three weeks ago, we purchased Norton Internet Security 2006 (NIS 2006) on CD-ROM and installed it on our PC. No problems. A few days ago, NIS 2006 would no longer work. The only thing that might of contributed to this was a zip file that was opened from a piece of junk mail that contained a simple image (NTIMAGE.GIF). NIS didn't see it as a threat and as far as we can tell, everything on the PC is working fine except NIS 2006. I tried to uninstall NIS 2006 with "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and was unsuccessful. Then I went to Symantec's web site, downloaded SymNRT, SYMMISICLEANUP, and MSIFIX which seemed to have removed NIS 2006. I then attempted to reinstall NIS 2006 from the CD. After several minutes of the files being transfered from the CD to the hard drive, a message stated that the install was successful, to remove the CD and to reboot the computer for the changes to take effect. So far, so good. PC reboots and the Norton Configuration Wizard automatically starts for the final steps. I clicked the next button after the introduction window for the activation of NIS. At this point, I have problems. The wizard locks up and does not allow me to finish / activate NIS 2006. I have tried several times to uninstall and install NIS 2006, and the result is always the same. I'm not sure if there is some sort of corruption within the Windows Registry or some other quirky bug with NIS, but I'm at the end of my rope with this software that has otherwise been trouble free until this point. Any thoughts?

Before you activate NIS can you access semantics web sights? It by be trying to contact semantics servers and is unreachable. Can you skip the registration? Usually gives you 15 days before registering. If you can you may be able to allow it to get the updates at which you can register it after words.

Norton uninstallation has some problems, as you know you install Live Update with Norton Antivirus, you must uninstall Live Update firstly then uninstall Antivirus, then delete all files from pc especially located in C/Program Files/Symantec. I offer you to delete everything in Symantec folder, before delete this folder reboot your pc then delete this folder, if a message appears on your screens "this is used in an application and you can't delete it" for delete this type of file you must install Unlocker 1.7.6 - 200 kb (Freeware) and kill process and delete, after did all these, you must clear registries of Norton Antivirus from your pc you can do it by Regsupreme Pro 1.3 - 768 kb(30-day trial). and check your antivirus status from Security Center in Control Panel whihc comes from Service Pack2, there is a warning screen like " there is no antiviurs in your pc" now you can install new Antivirus.

NOTE: Unlocker 1.7.5 and Regsupreme Pro:: I offer you these programs for all uninstallation progress.. :)

Met Man

The Symatec web site and servers seem to working just fine. I verified their servers were working by getting on my kids PC and downloading the latest virus definitions, etc. I can not skip or get around the final installation process which locks up on me.

Met Man

I followed your advise and checked out the info on Trojan BagleDI-AN. I'm pretty sure that I had downloaded that virus. Cleaned up the registry and it seems to have stopped some weird attempts of automatic downloading when I first fire up my PC. After I got everything cleaned up and all of the Norton stuff uninstalled, I tried once more to install Norton Internet Security one more time. Same exact result. Something's still amiss...

Met Man

I downloaded Ewido and ran it in Windows Safe mode. Removed a bunch of cookies and found a number of Worm.Bagle.Fe virsuses. Then I ran Hijack This Log. Results of each run are posted here. I'm going to try to reinstall NIS 2006 next and see what happens...

Attachments

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just a bump here ..
Sorry I can't help deciphering the HJT log ... going to need one of the experts here.
I see a couple of them logged on now.
Is Norton installed yet ??

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
While waiting - thought I'd mention ...
One thing the experts usually ask for - is to run a few online virus scans …

Symantec …..
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=HSHXXLPXHJRZDTVSAGA

Kaspersky …..
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
choose extended database for the scan!

Panda ActiveScan ….
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

When the scan is finished, anything that it cannot clean have it delete it.
Make a note of the file location of anything that cannot be deleted so you
can delete it yourself.

Then - you probably should post a new HJT log

Met Man

Finally got Norton Internet Security 2006 successfully installed!!! Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm thinking you might still have a leftover bug or two.
May I suggest - Run a new HJT log and post it in a new topic .. so the HJT experts will see it.

I'm having the same NIS 2006 Install issues. Have removed the program with Symantec's SymNRT.exe ~ symptom, for me is that the program works for a bit (hours) then craps out - either failing to execute at all or by display of a partial screen (blank hole in the middle of the home screen). Expect I have similar memory or registry resident bug that SpySweeper and/or Norton isn't eradicating. Can you provide anymore details on Trojan BagleDI-AN as I'm going to try to mimic your resolution of this problem and what's an HJT log? Thanks in advance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online