1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Internet Security attacks & success!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by eddieb2k4, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eddieb2k4

eddieb2k4 Thread Starter

I need to know if anyone has had this same experience. I run Windows 2000 Pro, and Norton Internet Security 2003. On different occassions I have had my firewall and antivirus shut down via email!!! - yes...via email. I'm not sure how the culprits are accomplishing this but, they send a message to at least 2 of my MS Outlook 2000 mailboxes which only displays the message below:

Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:

To:
    Subject:

Nothing more. As soon as Outlook receives 2 of these messages, I get a Norton Internet Security internal error, instructs me to "re-install" the software and immediately shuts the NAV and Firewall down. Is there a patch out there? - or am I the only one who is a victim of this. Now I have been working around the computer when Outlook automatically receives the messages and shuts all security down. Please help!

Ed
    Ft. Lee, VA

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, Norton is unstable as h*ll, but when it works its great for catching viruses.

It can easily be disabled if its out of date or by a new virus. If its happening often then therer's something wrong with the program in which case you need to uninstall it, use the RNIS and RNAV2003 tools to remove several remaining components, and then manually find and delete all left-over Symantec files and registry keys. Then you can reinstall it and update it.

Also if Windows has problems, such as with IE or scripting or just about anything Norton can crash. Its important to have all the Windows Updates, Critical and Recommended before installing Norton.

Also if its Outlook, and not Outlook Express, you should download all the latest updates to Microsoft Office/Outlook. You can do that from officeupdate.microsoft.com

3. eddieb2k4

eddieb2k4 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, but I have already done the "complete un-install" process as you have mentioned. As far as the OS - I keep it up-to-date with the latest and greatest updates from MS, and the same goes for the Norton software installed. I have done the "repair" process 3 times, and it always shuts it down. This happens at random, so it can be a week or a month before the application gets disabled, and this happens when I receive those email messages from an unknown location, since Norton does not display the sender's address for some reason, only that it has deleted a proxy message. Thanks for your input, and hopefully someone knows what's causing this.

ED

4. shrinks

shrinks

Yes, this IS an unresolved problem with NIS 2003! "Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message" deleted ALL 59 of my messages this morning, and e-mail scanning was indeed turned off with the usual pit* "internal error" and "uninstall-reinstall message". I downloaded the latest definitions (again) from http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html and rebooted because I'm fed-up with "uninstall-reinstall". E-mail is back to normal for now. Has anyone pinged Symantec to seek resolution? Does anyone know how to recover the 59 lost messages?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice