Norton Internet Security Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joyt

Hi,

I use Norton Internet Security and have a question:

I was trying to update my Windows Messenger by downloading necessary updates. The updates downloaded, I think, but they couldn't be installed.

I downloaded and installed MSN Messenger. It won't work, either. Here is the error message I get:

We were unable to sign you in to MSN Messenger possibly because of a problem with the service or with your Internet connection. Please make sure that you are connected to the Internet.

MSN Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking Messenger from connecting to the service. Please review your firewall settings. See the retailer's instructions for more information.

I am connected to the Internet but use Norton Security's firewall. :(

Can this be remedied? If so, how? :confused:

Thank you,
Joy

You need to go into your firewall and allow the programs to connect to the Internet. Open your firewall, click on personal firewall, click on the programs tab. from there you can scroll down the list of all your programs and make sure that the ones you want are permitted by clicking on them and making the changes. That should be the problem.

There is an article in the Symantec Knowledgebase about MSN problems. However, it refers to the 2003 versions of NIS and so may NOT be relevant if you have 2004 or later because those programs are, I believe, different in many ways. I'll post the link to the article so you can see for yourself; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...&pcode=&src=&miniver=&tpre=&prev=&dtype=&seg=

If you have NIS on CD, there is a User Guide on the CD in a folder called 'Manual' so you might want to look at that before doing anything else. If you d/loaded NIS, you can get the user Guide in pdf format from here; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256ae7006a3054?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

joyt

Thank you both very much! :) I'll let you know if your collective knowledge solves the problem. ;)

Joy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online