Norton Internet Security Software Ques.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

doogdoog

Aloha,
I just bought the "Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Editon" and have a question about the Firewall. I have a Linksys router that has a firewall (I think) and also have ZoneAlarm Pro installed on my computer. For my OS, I am using XP Pro without the Microsoft firewall. According to the wording on the box, it says that it has a personal firewall but I want to continue using ZoneAlarm so will I be able to disable the Norton firewall? Is this software better than Spybot and Ad-Aware SE?? I didn't open the box yet in case I have to return it. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

first off iam not a norton person. i would take it back .it will use up a lot of system resources and the only program i would use of norton's is the anti virus.

doogdoog

Aloha,
Thanks for the reply and I just got a reply from Symantec support and here is what they said:
"please note that it is not recommended to install two firewall products on the same system. Running two firewalls simultaneously may cause connectivity problems and other unexpected results even if you disable one firewall. So I strongly recommend that you use only NIS on your system."
I understand that you shouldn't run two firewalls at the same time but I don't see a problem with running one with the other disabled. I disabled the firewall that came with Win XP pro and have been running ZoneAlarm Pro since I had my other computer without any problems. They still didn't say if the Norton firewall could be disabled. Well, it looks like I will return the software. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Yes, the Norton Firewall can be disabled. My personal opinion is to not install Norton at all. Like stated before, Norton takes up alot of system resources and in addition to this, Norton is very well known for being a pain in the arse to remove from your system if it causes problems. Removing Norton completely from your PC involves removing lots of entries from your registry and is very time consuming. There is a utility by Symantec that is supposed to remove all the entries for you but I've known people that had problems getting it to remove everything and ended up having to reformat their PC completely. I've used Zone Alarm pro for years and have always been satisfied with it. If you are behind a router and have zone alarm already installed, there is no need to use the Norton firewall in my opinion. As far as the anti-spyware capability, I think you are wasting your money getting the Anti-Spyware edition. Spyware programs are only as good as the updates you receive. It's my opinion that there is no one best product for this. Your best bet to stay free of these pests is to use a variety of the free programs available today and keep them up to date (Ad-Aware, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spybot, Spysweeper, Spyware Blaster, Win Patrol, etc.) Norton Anti-Virus is a resource hog but is still not a bad stand alone product. There are several free Anti-Virus programs that seem to do a pretty good job from what I've seen (AVG, AVAST, PANDA)

Rollin

doogdoog

Aloha,
Thanks for the reply and I made up my mind to stick with the freebies that I already have and ZoneAlarm Pro. Yes, Norton is very hard to remove and once it removed my Netscape browser too because somehow it is connected to it. I can't even use the Norton email virus protection because it made some changes and my email wouldn't work so I had to undo the changes that it made to make my email work again. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online