1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Janelle, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Janelle

Janelle Thread Starter

I use ME and am on AOL. I cannot get the Spam Alert feature in Norton Internet Security to work. Also they do not include any instructions in the manual to create spam filters for AOL. Is there a way to do this? Their tech support is too expensive, and the online help is a joke. Anyone have a clue how to make this work?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

AOL has it's own proprietary email system and spam filter process.

I doubt Norton would be able to work with it.

Most 3rd party spam filters out there are made to work with Outlook, Outlook Express, Lotus, or something similar.

3. Janelle

Janelle Thread Starter

I have not been able to find any spam filtering on AOL. They only thing they have is a block for e-mail from specific addresses. But since spam changes addresses with every message, this is no help at all.

If you know of AOL spam filters other than that please enlighten me. I'm really tired of the spams - especially those with sexual subjects and content.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi janelle,

I've been an AOL member for many years. Although that might change soon since I recently switched to cable service.

The only thing I can suggest is in the AOL spam blocker settings..
    If you notice the spam coming from certain domains (the xxx.com part) you can put just that in the list and it will block all email from anyone from that domain.

The other thing is to make use of the 7 accounts they give you. Make one account that you only give out to friends and family. Another account you can use for merchants, websites, chat rooms, newsgroups, etc.

That's how I had my email accounts set up and it kept the spam to a minimum.

There's really no way to completely block all spam. Some always gets through, especially if you make yor email public by posting in newsgroups, using chat forums, etc.

good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!