1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton internet security

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pkngster, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just brought a Toshiba laptop. With the laptop came a 90 day free trial of Norton Internet Security, I have therefore downloaded the security and it was quite happy updating bits and pieces and I got quite bored waiting for it to finish. When I came back to it half hour later it was telling me to restart the computer, which I did.

When the laptop re booted itself everything was fine until all the icons appear, at which point the screen went blue with a load of writing that stayed up for 5 seconds before the system shut down and then re booted itself again, it keeps on doing this and i dont have time to read what the message says on the blue screen before it is gone again.

I now cannot use my laptop cos it will not boot up, I cannot click on any icon or open the start menu before the message screen appears and it shuts down, please help.........:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. dark_cloud

dark_cloud

when the computer boots up, press f8 and run it in safe mode.

since it is a new computer without much on it, why not run the system retore cd and restore it back to factory settings.

3. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I did manage to get into safe mode but then didn't really know what to do from there to get it sorted out.

I tried going into the control panel and uninstall programs but it would not let me do that.

I therefore came back out just incase I deleted or messed around with anything that I shouldn't.

I had not thought about the system restore, is it easy to do and does it give step by step instructions, cos I would not want to make the situation any worse, well saying that it couldn't get much worse!.

I'll give it ago...........(y)

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  5. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

Like noyb pointed out, remove any Symantec\Norton product you have by using that removal tool. Boot into "safe mode with networking" by pressing F8 on startup so you can have internet access in safemode and then download the removal tool and run it.

While you are in safemode, go into the control panel, select system, advanced tab, and then under "startup and recovery" select settings, under that windows UNTICK the option "Automatically Restart" under the system failure section, click ok until all windows are gone and then restart. Let us know if you still are getting a blue screen. If you are, the blue screen will stay up so you can report the error.

99.9% of the time a "Blue Screen of Death" is related to crappy software that messes around with the kernel (just like norton) or its from a bad driver. At other times it can be from faulty hardware.

6. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Guys thank you so much for your help and advice. I wasn't holding my breathe for a reply to my post, but I can honestly say that the help and advice given is brilliant.

Just so that you know I have done a system restore due to the newness of the system and lack of stuff on it. But I have keep a copy of the this post incase it ever happens again so that I can refer to it.

I have also downlaoded the AVGfree antivirus.

Thank you all once again, I will be recommending this site to all the guys at work and friends who's brains I tried to pick.

Regards,

Pkngster. (y) :) :D

7. Support4U

Support4U

hi i belive u have resolved your issue using the system restore but this has been fruitfull to u since ur computer is new and dont have much to loose ..but if in case this happens later whr in u will have alot of data which may be lost due to system restore..or programs get curpt due to system restore
    try the following :
    restart your computer in safe mode with networking.
    download the norton removal tool from www.symantec.com/nrt and save it under my documents folder..dont run it since it will not run in safe mode at all.
    go to start >>run >>msconfig
    go to services tab ..and at the bottom left check the "Hide all microsoft services" option
    then in the listing uncheck all what u can find for norton\symantec or live update and auto liveupdate
    then go to the start up tab
    look for ccApp and uncheck it
    click on apply and then close..
    select Exit without restart option
    then click start >>run >>regedit
    look for Hkey_current_user>>software and look for symantec and delete it
    look for Hkey_Local_Machine>>software and look for symantec and delete it
    close registry editor
    restart computer once again in safe mode
    go to my computer\c:\documents and settings\all users\Application data (may be hidden at times)\ symantec ..delete symantec folder
    go to my computer\c:\program files\(look for anything that is norton, symantec and delete it )delete that folder
    go to my computer\c:\program files\common files\look for symantec shared ..delete this folder.
    once all the above is done restart computer in normal mode..it will start and after that go to my document folder and run the norton removal tool that u saved
    this is 100% resolution to such an issue
    **note if this dsnt work then only us system restore since as i said earlier u can loose many things doing system restore

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!