1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton - is there a better AntiVirus software?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by coughas, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coughas

coughas Thread Starter

Hi,

I am currently running Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus on 2 machines which are wirelessly networked together. However i am finding heaps of problems trying to get the network to run properly which i imagine are being caused by the firewall etc. Basically i wanted to know if there was a better piece of software out there like Zone or something like that? Which one can u guys recommend that should be less hassle than norton when it comes to wireless networking?

2. Slick Nick

Slick Nick

I personally prefer Panda Antivirus over Norton. Tests run by PC World magazine proved Panda to be superior to Norton. As for a firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro version 5.5.062.011 is the best overall firewall by far when it is configured correctly. It has passed every conceivable security test that I have thrown at it so far with flying colors. I've rigorously tested Sygate, BlackICE, McAfee, Norton and quite a few other firewalls and ZoneAlarm is the champ as far as I'm concerned. It has a version for wireless users.

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

There are many antivirus programs available and some very good ones are free. A couple of examples are AVG and Avast.

Norton products caused me so much grief after about 15 years of use that I finally took all of them off my computer. They are too intrusive and caused too many problems.

Other good antivirus programs are included with utility suites. A couple of these are Systemsuite 5 by VCOM and System Mechanic 5 Pro by Iolo. System Mechanic's antivirus is by Kaspersky and Systemsuite's appears to be their own.

4. lancerx

lancerx

Mcaffee and ZA here, i used NA until 2003 after avg detected 26 virus in my laptop, good bye norton, then tried mcafee and so far i like it, never tried panda.

5. John Burns

John Burns

I agree with dmullen completely. After 5 years with Norton, I removed it from my computers (with much difficulty - they make it hard to remove and certain procedures must be followed). There are many others,as dmullen stated,which are better - and some are free.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

7. newsguyaa

newsguyaa

I used Norton 2004 virus protection but got a weird problem with my Windows 2000 Pro. About six or seven times, ranging from a week apart to as long as a month apart, always just after a warning from Norton, about half my desktop would be wiped out.

My favorites on the start bar would be gone, my favorites on Internet Explorer and I'd have to set up my internet connection. Finally, I eliminated every other possibility and took Norton off my computer and have not had that problem again.

I had previiously used earlier versions of Norton virus(with an earlier version of Windows) with no problems. In fact, that same version of Norton worked fine under Windows 98 SE. Go figure.

Paul

8. TOGG

TOGG

This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions that doesn't really have a 'right' answer.

Have a look at the reviews at Wilders.org;http://wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm You will have to bear in mind that this page hasn't been updated for over a year, but the information should still be useful.

For the record, I switched from NAV 2003 last year, (because I had problems trying to renew my subscription), and now have NOD32.

A search here will show many people are having problems, particularly with the newer versions of Norton programs, but there is no way of telling if this is a significant proportion of the people that currently use these programs, or a relative handful with multiple configuration issues etc..

9. Argy

Argy Banned

i got bored one day, so i let loose a few nasty's on a little 486 that i had connected through the network.
    i mapped a drive and then went to work installing and testing a few anti-virus programs:
    NOD32, panda, mc AFee, AVG, anti-vir and e-trust
    out of the six that i installed i found that the tiny, easy to use anti-vir came out the best, detecting all but 1 of the worms and all of the "virii" that were let loose
    NOD32 came in close with all but 2 virri and 1 worm and then the ranking went on from there
    so, as you can guess, im running anti-vir on my computer now (also has one of the best control programms ive seen) with (ofcourse) the latest version of ZA pro
    so there you have it, my opinion

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

Watch where you click is the best anti anything... :)

I don't have one installed...

I run housecall (online) every so often and it comes up with nothing... I also run AdAaware or spybot or Hijack and they come up clean...

I guess what I'm saying is... you get what you click...;)

buck

11. junglejeff

junglejeff

I like Trend Micros Pc-Cillin as well as Mcaffe's viruscan & of course my favorite remover is stinger. I had some major problems with Norton's a few years back & they seem to miss more virus's than the others, so I don't use or recommend them anymore. I'm not sure when Peter Norton sold the use of his name, but a long time ago Norton utilities was the King of utilities (more than 10 years ago)- then it was written & supported by Peter Norton himself. You used to be able to do all kinds of cool stuff with it now it's just a bloated antivirus utility.

However if you having a problem with their firewall they do provide a configuration area that allows you to specify an IP or a scope that you can allow past the firewall & it's pretty easy to configure if you just give it a try. While Norton's is not my favorite it is still a useful product.

12. Argy

Argy Banned

most firewalls have that feature, allowing a certain allocated ip access,
    ...scary...isnt it?
    :rolleyes:

13. junglejeff

junglejeff

It would be scarier if they didn't have that feature then you'd be stuck with it either on or off and no in between.

Not sure who's bubble your sorry to be bursting (maybe your own:eek:.) , but sometimes you need to read in between the lines before you add an immature sarcastic comment aimed at those trying to help someone understand what they clearly don't yet. This isn't a place where you come to brag about what you know it's a place where you help others or ask for help. While I admit there's allot I don't know, sometimes I miss things, & I learn something new almost everyday I suspect from your childish comment I've been computing longer than you've been alive - so take a chill pill & don't try so hard to be cool you fool. When you're old enough to drink a beer I'll buy you one.

14. Argy

Argy Banned

that amuses me
    calm yourself down and learn to handle a little humour, alright, and please, dont start turning this forum into a personel's page, where you can start slagging off other's, if you dont like the comment made, get over it and move on
    anyways,
    sorry everyone else,
    i guess the joke sounded funnier in my head :eek:
    anyways, back to the original thread

15. Argy

Argy Banned

(p.s)so take a chill pill & don't try so hard to be cool you fool?
    please dont ever try saying that again....for the greater good of the nation

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/358686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice