1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton liveupdate offers removed ghost updates

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Moby, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

As the subject says, I don't have Norton ghost installed anymore, but live update keeps offering me ghost updates. Anyone know how to remove it from where ever it needs removing from ?(Symantec's end or my end ???)
    Thanks.

2. raybro

raybro

Hi moby... I'll assume you have done a search of the Registry and windows directory for any and all entries for Ghost and deleted them.

My next best guess would be (based on how Symantec does things) would be the tie in is within LiveUpdate itself. What you will probably have to do to fix it is remove LiveUpdate and reinstall (I'm not sure HOW you would reinstall LiveUpdate as a stand alone).

Past experience with Symantec products leads me to believe you will end up removing everything Symantec and reinstalling what you want. This is probably the cleanest way to get to where you want to go.

3. slipe

slipe

If you have other Norton products installed and the live update just includes Ghost ignore it. It is going to check for all of the updates anyway and download your AV definitions. Ghost isn’t going to cost you 5 seconds a year as it doesn’t get updated much that I have seen. You certainly will not make up the time you will spend screwing with it unless the update is locking up because of it.

If Ghost is the only thing it is trying to update just uncheck it in msconfig/startup or maybe services according to what you are running.

4. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

Thanks both. I did a quick search in the registry but don't really know what I'm doing in there. I deleted a 'folder' called 'norton ghost' as I thought this was a good clue as to what it referred too ;). Other than that I haven't delved deeper. I backed the registry up but don't really know how to look further, I never go in there as I'm not familiar enough with it in the dark side yet :)
    I think you're right Raybro, uninstall everything and re-install would be the way but all my norton stuff is working fine and dandy apart from this, uninstalling/reinstalling all of it when it's not broke - I'll probably just put up with the minor niggle.. And yes Slipe, it's no big deal at all but now there is a ghost update, I get it every time I download av definitions as I obviously uncheck the ghost download as I don't want it, so it pops up the next time, and the next, forever! (I update manually) Ghost doesn't appear in msconfig either, I don't have it installed. Liveupdate searches for updates for all my norton products - 3 or 4 of them, but I have a literal 'ghost' on my system. I haven't had ghost since about 2 hardrives, a format and a couple of partitions ago. I did register it when I had it some time ago and 'live reg' is another product that gets updated with the av stuff so maybe there's something there. It's just a bit odd it's popped up now. I can definately live with it though. Thanks for the time.

5. raybro

raybro

Probably a wise decision. Symantec progs can be problematic. If what you have is working OK and this little niggle is just that... best leave well enough alone.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd do a complete uninstall of all Symantec products, then do a re-install. I had a Live-Update issue, and that was the only way to fix it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!