1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Negombo, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Negombo

Negombo Thread Starter

Hi there, I bought a new Samsung - it has windows 8 but also Norton Virus put on - which is a programme I don't like and I want to remove it (I've put on another anti virus on the laptop) - I've removed Norton out of the 'add/remove' programs bit through the control panel and I've done a search on my hard drive for anything containing the word Norton (asking the search function to search hidden folders too) - from some reason my SW updates wants to keep updating Norton and I keep getting reminders to do it even though I'm sure there's nothing left on my machine - can I get the programme removed from the update section so it doesn't keep asking to be updated?

I removed it a few months ago so I know its not a case of restarting the machine.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. Negombo

Negombo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Macboatmaster - I have done everything on the link - downloaded tool, followed wizard (which was basically just accepting t&c and clicking next)...I restarted my machine as requested.

When I went to my SW update list it still says Norton has a recommended update...

I don't know if it makes a difference but though Curry's put it on before I bought the machine, I'm not sure if it was ever activated by them - I know I didn't activate it and I've never even run it since buying the machine - I just saw it there and went straight to the control panel to remove it. - Does it have to be activated to be able to remove it in full?

4. Macboatmaster

It could be that you have removed - using the search - some files that the removal tool needed to work
    Is there not any guidance in the user manual, it very much depends on how the Samsung has been set up

I would not have thought it needed to be activated before it could be removed
    What happens if you agree the recommended update - it could very well be that it will then report it cannot update etc and will not offer it again. NOW you have run the tool

Although the tools look the same, you did select the correct product of Norton - did you

Also in Programs and features is there any reference to Symantec - which of course is Norton

5. Macboatmaster

I am offline from now for 2 to 3 days
    Good luck with it, someone else may well come in to assist

6. Macboatmaster

Negombo

I am back now, any progress please

7. Negombo

Negombo Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster - sorry I've been away from the site for a little while.

In the end I managed to reinstall something to do with the programme (it was quite a while ago so can't remember exactly what), It doesn't request the updates quite as regularly as it did before - but I still can't remove it off the machine - as its in the background its not bugging me as much as it was - just would prefer for it to be removed for neatness - and space!

8. Macboatmaster

You may try this
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

revo uninstaller pro - a 30 day free trial
    However be careful it is a very powerful tool
    I suggest you check before you remove that it is most certainly the reference to Norton or Symantec
    I also suggest you commission a restore point first.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice