1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton or McAfee?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by CG59runner, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CG59runner

CG59runner Thread Starter

I have a question about these 2 products. I have used Norton for the last 6 years and not been attacked by any viruses. I ordered a new PC from Gateway which will come with McAfee. I asked the salesman why not Norton. He said McAfee ran better on Win XP. I have no clue if that is accurate or not. Then one of my clients emailed me this article where a computer repair guy dissed McAfee. He said if your new PC came with McAfee to uninstall it an use another program. So, I just wanted any opinions from you guys. Here is the article if anyone is interested http://www.cyberdads.com/2005/12/merry-christmas-now-what.html ...thanks...:)...Carole

2. 2PInZ

2PInZ

They're both good and recommended by Microsoft. I use Norton, but wouldn't mind using McAffee. Ya u have some trepidations before changing something u've consistently been using for a long time, but i think u should be fine.

3. t bone

t bone

i've used mcafee for almost a couple years with no problems.
    though when it runs out this year i think i'm gonna give avg free a try.
    must be getting cheap in my old age:rolleyes:

4. paisanol69

paisanol69

Ive used Norton since before MS purchased Peter Nortons disk defragment program ( that should give you some idea of how long Ive used it..LOL) and last month, when my Norton expired, I installed NOD. I highly recommend it to anyone willing to spend a little money for a non free AVG. Very easy to set up, has fantastic detection, and uses almost no resources on your computer (compared to Norton). Whatever you choose, best of luck to you..

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

If you decide to uninstall Mc Afee, be sure to research how it should be done! [Go to their site.] With Norton, you get into big trouble using the usual MS Control Panel, etc. procedure. Not sure if same for Mc Afee, but I wanted to alert you to the possibility. {redoak}

6. CG59runner

CG59runner Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. I wasn't too worried about McAfee myself, until I read that article! But I highly doubt I will uninstall it when I get my new PC. And I agree that Norton is a resource hog, especially the SystemWorks program. I'll give McAfee a try and if I don't like it I'll try something else...:)...Carole

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!