Norton Personal Firewall blocking my net access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Villanz

I've been using Norton Personal Firewall (as part of Norton Internet Security 2005) for over a year now without any problems. But today when I tried to access the internet as usual I couldn't connect.

After trying all sorts of things I realised that it was the Norton Firewall that was stopping me from connecting to the net, and now I have to disable it in order to use the internet.

I hadn't been messing with the settings or anything like that.
Does anyone know why this might have happened?

I don't have personal knowledge of that program but there is an article in the Symantec Knowledgebase which provides some general troubleshooting advice. The problem is that the article specifically refers to 2004 (or earlier) versions of NIS, so it may not be much help. See what you think; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...&pcode=&src=&miniver=&tpre=&prev=&dtype=&seg=

Have you had any program updates, perhaps automatic ones, that could have amended settings?

Villanz

Cheers for the article but it didnt sort out the problem.
I download updates for Norton quite often but I'm not sure if any them would change the settings and cause this problem.

My subscription to Norton is about to expire soon so I might just use the Windows Firewall - not sure how good it is though.

Unkind people might suggest that the XP firewall falls into the 'Chocolate teapot' category since it only monitors inbound connections, but that might be a bit too unkind!.

There are lots of review/comparison sites and some of them are out of date or too closely linked to a specific maker. Here's a specimen site to give you an idea; http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/firewalls/fullstory.html

As NIS also includes NAV, won't you need another AV as well?

Villanz

I've already started using AVG Antivirus as I got sick of NAV eating up my PC's precious resources.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online