1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Personal Firewall interference in IE6 website picture display

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Whinyguy, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whinyguy

Whinyguy Thread Starter

Has anyone had success in overcoming a problem encountered after loading Norton personal firewall which causes Internet Explorer 6 to cease displaying some pictures when accessing a web site? Red X place holders are displayed instead. It is inconsistent and some pictures do display. "Show pictures" is enabled in the IE6 advanced setup and the firewall was specified to "permit all" for the IE6 browser. The problem is fixed when the program is deinstalled. Norton insists that reinstalling the program to get back to the default settings should take care of it, but this does not seem to be the solution. I've also optimized the memory by removing unneeded startup programs and cleaned out the temp files but this didn't help.

2. hewee

hewee

I don't know anything about either program.
    But do you have NIS to block ads?
    Maybe that is what you are not seeing.

3. demonloop

demonloop

check if you have configured the program to block Active X or java applets - thats usually the cause

4. Whinyguy

Whinyguy Thread Starter

Thanks but that was the first thing I tried. Active X and Java are enabled.

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

If you have Norton Personal Firewall set to block Ads, it will block ALL images which link to another site. If the website you are using stores its images at another base URL, you won't see them.

This might explain why you see some images and not others. You are seeing the ones stored at the site you are viewing, but not the remote images.

Try turning off ad blocking and see if the images return on sites where you normally have a problem, or you can verify whether this is your problem by opening a page or two where the images do not display and selecting View / Source. Find the reference to the picture name in the code and see whether the URL listed for the picture differs from the URL of the site. If a full URL is listed as the source of the image , for example, img src="http://dummy.site.com/images/cermak.gif", then this is likely what is happening to you.

From Symantec:

6. supertech

supertech

well i recently downloaded the trial version of norton 2002 internet security and im having the same problem......and heres the twist it still does it when the firewall is disabled....the add blocking thing makes sense though.....i had norton internet security 2000 and i loved it no problems.......hey norton are you reading this?????

7. Moby

Moby

your internet privacy is enabled, disabling this allows you to see the pictures. The privacy settings are the ones that stop you giving out sensitive info on unsecure sites. (you pick what is sensitive info - credit card no for instance)
    I just leave this disabled as the firewall part works normally.
    You can though have preferences set for sites to be allowed, with privacy enabled but mine are too numerous to set up preferences for, so I don't bother

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!