Norton pops up with files that do not exist?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KHolloman

I have had two employee PC's that seem to be infected with some kind of worm.

Norton randomly keeps popping up saying it detected a virus, but the files it show are nowhere to be found. Sometimes, it will even say repair successful, but its one file after another. Most of these problems seem to say they are in the System 32 folder. I have ran Adaware, Spybot, Norton scans, Trend Housecall scans, and hijack and removed everything there was....a day or so later the Norton popups will continue. One of the PC's are at my local branch, and after 4 days decided to wipe it clean since it belonged to the receiving department and aside from our work software, there wasnt anything important.

However, the infected PC now belongs to an inside Sales rep, and I am trying to cover every corner before having to drive 2 hours and reformat.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would really help to know what O/S they run, 2K or XP. If this is XP, did you disable system restore to clear out all the restore points, empty the recycle bin, and any Norton Protected Files, then run the scan?

KHolloman

Sorry...forgot to mention that. One ran 98, but I reformatted that one. This one is XP Pro. Yes I disabled system restore, emptied recycle bin, cleaned all cookies, temp files and all. Today I had him re-run the scan in safe mode. It did actually find a file infected and remove it, and as of right now....no problems. I will keep you posted and thanks Johnwill for the suggestions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online