1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton 'Save and Restore' File Lockout (or 'Norton Your Life')

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Freddy888, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Freddy888

Freddy888 Thread Starter

Hello to all,
    Recently had a drive problem resulting in loss of WinXp system partition and personal data partition. 'Not a problem' thinks I, having TWO backup copies of the system image and all my files and folders on an external hard drive AND dvd-r, thanks to Norton Save and Restore (AND a note of the password in my safe, just in case :) )

After successfully re-installing the system, Save and Restore has LOCKED ME OUT OF MY DATA. I now have TWO copies of all personal files in Norton 'fbf' format that 'Save and Restore' CANNOT find or extract. Note that this is WITH the correct password and having previously tested Save and Restore before relying on it (by a test system recovery). The program appears to have a MAJOR ERROR in that it cannot find data backed up to non-system partitions. It will happily let you back them up, but is unable to find the files locked into the 'fbf's. There is a system-image explorer, but not a 'Files and Folders' explorer. No good whatesover unless you keep your personal data on the system partition.

A Symantec technician could not solve the problem (on a remote session) and ended by saying they would have to investigate and get back to me. This rules out 'finger trouble' on my part and points to 'Save and Restore' needing a patch - and quick.

Now wiser, I see there's no point storing files in the most open format (such as images in TIFF) to avoid future access problems, and then backing them up in a proprietory format such as 'fbf' with Norton 'Save and Restore'. Symantec state on their website that Save and Restore 'Encrypts backups to help keep them secure'. It sure does - not even the owner with the password can get access! I suggest that writing to fbf format is not for file privacy, but that the data owner must continue with [buying 'upgrades'] Save and Restore to have access to their backups, and that's AFTER Symantec have fixed this problem.

If you have 'Save and Restore', use with EXTREME CAUTION. If anyone else has had this problem already, or better still resolved it, please advise , as I don't see Symantec providing a quick fix (or admitting the problem).
    Regards,
    Freddy

2. csrbloodbot

csrbloodbot

My son is experiencing this same problem, I was just wondering if you ever got a resolution and if so what it is.
    Thanks
    Chuck

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the TSG Forum .. Both of you.

Never tried Save n Restore
    Like many of the Real Wizards here at TSG …
    I won’t touch anything with the name Symantec on it.

Most of us use Acronis True Image … for saving and restoring …
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    The trial D/L is fully functional for 14 days ... and is Vista Ready.

And get it here …
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=acronis+true+image

Wonder if you can get your money back ???

4. sylverdawn

sylverdawn

I have been fighting with NSR for the past week (plus using data recovery software to get some of my data back). I had all my data backed up (via files and folders option) and reformatted my system drive. After I had things reinstalled, I went to restore my data files and it wouldn't see the backups.

Symantec tech support was of no help. All the person did via remote session was the same things that I had tried already and then ended the session without saying anything.

This product may work well for it's recovery point option, but it certainly doesn't work for restoring backed up files and folders. I have had some questionable experiences with other Norton/Symantec products, and now this very serious issue... I won't buy a Norton/Symantec product again... between the products not doing what they are supposed to and the terrible tech support when there's a problem...:mad:

If anyone has found a solution to this issue of NSR not seeing file and folder backups after a reinstall...please, please post.

Thanks in advance for any help offered,
    sylverdawn

5. LecterFA

LecterFA

Same for me!
    I made backup (with password) of file and folders with ghost 12.0 in a separate P-ata hard disk.
    Only files .fbf
    I format my HD and i TRY to recover file and folders.
    Browsing for the File backup data folder, find!
    Recovering files... Ok!
    Result? No way!
    Error!
    Cannot import items!
    And now?
    I wanna fight for my backup folder...
    Ghost is not the best software for backup and recover?
    Symantec must hear our voice and find a way to recover our files!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

7. sylverdawn

sylverdawn

I ended up getting my files to Restore using Norton Ghost 12. I had to force it to look at each individual folder that Save & Restore had created. It was a time consuming task, but I got EVERYTHING back.

Here's roughly the steps I took (and this may work within Save & Restore as well):
    Since I had files and folders backed up, not recovery points...

Open the Recover My Files section
    Go to File, Import Backup Destination, and browse to the location of the backup files, then select a specific fbfFiles_XXX folder, click OK.
    Then leaving the search box blank, click Search/Press enter...
    All the files that are backed up there should be listed... Not everything all in one (depending on how you ran the backups to begin with... I had split things up (Music, Pictures, Documents) into different backups).
    *NOTE*Keep an eye on the dates if you've run multiple backups on the same files (you want to make sure you recover the newest one so you don't lose any changes).

Select the files from the list that you want to recover and proceed to restore them.
    Repeat as necessary.

I did run into a couple of the fbfFiles_XXX folders that this wouldn't work with. Through some digging (I don't recall what I did) I discovered that one of them was a huge Windows related file (restore point or something) that wouldn't restore.

Most of the fbfFiles_XXX folders should be less that 1GB...the ones I ran into problems with were ones that were larger than that or very close to that size.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

8. sashupperjohn

sashupperjohn

I have Norton Ghost 12. I re-installed windows and want to recover my files.

"Import Backup Destination"

-Info 6C8F1C25: Cannot import items.
    --Errors exist.
    ---A cancel request was submitted during the file backup operation.
    ----Error E4BC0019: The file import failed.
    -----A cancel request was submitted during the file backup operation.

HEEEEEEEEEEELP

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice