1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Security

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ctuna, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ctuna

ctuna Thread Starter

I have Norton Internet security 2000 installed in 2000. Don't need it any more and need to delete it. Went into the Add/Remove in the control panel and removed the listing. Rebooted and the icon was still in the start up menu.
    Checked the add/remove and it was gone. Checked in the explore and found the total program. Deleted the program and all files, Rebooted and the computer was shot and would not load. Used GoBack and got going again but need a procedure to remove this program. Check Norton site and it is too old for them to worry about. Any ideas??
    Windows 98SE
    256 RAM
    800 CPU

2. jameso321

jameso321

3. rextilleon

rextilleon

Norton is an insidious program--very tough to get rid of. I tried to get rid of Norton Virus and it was very resistent. I ended up going through every registry listing for Norton and then installing Zone Alarm and Avg---works great.

4. ctuna

ctuna Thread Starter

Thanks I will try the uninstall program first and then the edit the registry
    Will post back in a few days with the results

5. jameso321

jameso321

6. DVOM

DVOM

The biggest problem with Norton/Symantec is getting it shut down so the uninstall actually works. I use EndItAll v.1 which you can get here:

http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm

Then I uninstall ALL Norton products. Don't forget LiveUpdate and LiveReg.

Once they're all uninstalled, do a full computer search for "Symantec" and "Norton'" and delete everything you find.

Then run a registry cleaner to get rid of anything left behind. I use EasyCleaner which you can get here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

And that always does it for me. At this point if there's any Symantec products that you actually want, reinstall them.

7. ctuna

ctuna Thread Starter

Used the Norton uninstall program and it seemed to do the job. Thanks to all for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice