1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton seems to be eating my computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by terra_enigmae, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terra_enigmae

terra_enigmae Thread Starter

Hello all - My computer drastically declined in performance suddenly. After much deliberation and wasted effort, found that in Safe mode the process NAVW32.exe is taking up to 98% of my CPU.

The only NAVW32.exe my Windows search returns is indeed in the Norton Anti Virus folder. It's size is not exactly that of any of the known sizes I could find; it's 99,952 bytes. But given it's location, it seems likely it is a Symantec product. My Google results indicate that NAVW32 taking up almost all the CPU is fairly common....but I find little in the way of solutions. If I had the Norton disk, I could take it off the computer and reinstall, I guess. It probably came with the WindowsXP I am using. This was installed from a defunct computer by a tech, complete with sticker, so I don't know if I can get replacements or something from the company.....

Any suggestions? Thanks much.

2. photoguy46

photoguy46 It's My Birthday!

I had a similar problem 3-4 months ago- my Norton program was giving me big, big headaches. I tracked the gigantic file down to the DrWatson file, If I remember correctly, something about this file being a dump file every time my PC crashed. So there was a huge huge amount of junk in there. I also asked for help with this problem on this site. Several good people answered me and told me it was alright to delete these files with no harm to my XP system. Hope this helps. I think I used CCleaner to remove the files- mine was in C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Dr Watson do not know you're exact situation, but I hope this helps you photoguy46

3. Broni

Broni

The best solution for dealing with Norton - uninstall, and never look back.

4. allheart55

allheart55

Hello terra_enigmae and Welcome to TSG.

To completely remove all traces of Norton/Symantec you will need the Norton Removal Tool. You can find it CLICK HERE After removing this resource hog anti virus piggy you will need both a GOOD Antivirus and Spyware program. For immediate protection you can download Avira Free CLICK HERE and SuperAntiSpware (SAS) Free CLICK HERE

I suggest before using the removal tool, FIRST download and save to your desktop BOTH the Avira as well as SAS and install them after removing Norton and rebooting, immediately. Cindy

5. terra_enigmae

terra_enigmae Thread Starter

Thanks much to all .... indeed, the recommended AV software is going up, and Norton is going away for ever. I had heard it was difficult to do a straight uninstall with the Windows add/remove, so the Norton remove utility will be a great help.

6. golferbob

golferbob

make sure you get a good free firewall also. i use comodo .

7. windows user

windows user

I use Avast! It is free for home users. Even virus updates are free. It works great.

8. caraewilton

caraewilton

I am sure Norton is EATING your computer!

9. DCM1519

DCM1519

I took all Norton and Symantec products off my computer in 2004 and it basically stopped all the "gremlins" that had inhabited my computer.

It took more than the uninstall and the Norton removal utilitiy though. After running both of them, I ended up using a registry editor to remove all references to Norton and Symantec and there were several hundred left in spite of their tool. Maybe they have improved it since then but it wouldn't hurt to take a look with a registry editor after you complete their removal recommendations.

My computers run as they should after getting rid of Norton and Symantec.

10. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Be very careful going into the Registry, and don't use a "cleaner." No problems really will occur if the S/N registry entries are left in place. See the info posted below. I would use "Search" and look for any left over folders. etc.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

11. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

Norton Anti-Virus is THE WORST virus protection software EVER!! In my experience it never even removed ANYTHING! Just told me some random crap about it and told me to go remove the virus myself...ehh thats not the idea of an anti-virus! And then after i realised how useless this software was it was a pain in the *** to uninstall! You cant uninstall it in the start menu! You cant uninstall it in add/remove progras! You have to go into the registry editor and delete the registry keys! And then remove every trace of it from program files! Its utterly useless software i dont know why its so popular! Its the only AV i know that doesnt actualy delete the viruses. It ALWAYS said "delete failed" on every single virus it detected! I use AVG, Avast, Ad-Aware 2007 and Spybot search and destroy.... abit of overkill perhaps but they are all FREE programs that work great and they are all updated VERY frequently!

12. MrFinMan

MrFinMan

I used Norton Internet Security for a couple of years. Hated every second of it. Tried some freeware programs and I've been happy ever since. But I would recommend a clean install of windows and the Comodo for the firewall and either AVG or Avast for the antivirus software.

Happy Norton free days for all

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!