Norton/Symantec registries question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gladio77

I have been advised by Tech Guy how to delete the above registries. I have already Exported Registry to my desktop in case I make a little mistake.
Now I have returned to Edit and Run and found-in regedit-one Norton, which reads under the Name or left window, "ab (default)" and under the right heading of "Data" "C\ProgramFiles\NortonSystemWorks\NortonAntivirus" and something else....Name "ab ThreadingModel" Data "Apartment".
1.) Question one, what do I do with "Apartment" ?

In regedit under Symantec I have found under Name...."Symantec" and Data......"C\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Lu..." Just that one in the right window.

However, if I scroll all the way down the registry list in the column to the left, I get a whole lot of Symantec stuff that I don't find on the right. For example I get Symantec "lu Group.....lu Group1......luProduct...st Callback Manager and st CallbackManager 1...st Checkfor Update st DisScript Engine...st Host and st Host 1.....st Log...st Patch...st Settings...just to name a few.. a whole bunch of registiries, or just part of one?

2.) I'm not sure they are going to come up individually on the right when I try to delete the first one.

3.) Third question: I'm only able to highlight the Name, not the Data, or long string, of the registry that comes up from Edit and Find. Why is that?

4.) -Finally, if I delete the Name of the registry, is another one supposed to appear in its place so that I can delete that as well?
-What if it doesnt appear, and they all remain in the registry bank on the left side of the screen?
-And what message, if any, am I supposed to see on screen after the registry has been deleted?

Steve

Steve, first go to Comtrol Panel, Add/Remove Programs....Scroll down and look for Live Update, Delete that.

Go back to regedit, Find, type in Norton, When it finds an entry you should delete, it will be highlighted. Right click on the highlight and click delete. Do Not Delete the next entry. Click on Edit, then Find Next. Do this until regedit tells you it has finished the search.
Start over and do the same thing for Symevnt and Symtdi. (y)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Open the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder, then delete any folders still there with the name

Symantec
Norton
LiveUpdate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the "Edit - Find" function in the registry to root out Symantec Norton can be time-consuming and tricky.

Just make sure to delete only those entries that pertain to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online