1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton System Works/Zone Alarm Question?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ibm37, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibm37

ibm37 Thread Starter

HI

Can someone just confirm that it is all OK to have Norton System Works, and Zone Alarm running on the same PC, and if so what are the best settings to choose on each, ie is it best to disable some settings in each?? ( XP Pro )

2. BillC

BillC

I know of several people using Zone Alarm with Norton antvirus with no problems. I think the other applications that come in System Works are used on demand, aren't they?

I would add that you should turn off your XP firewall when you install Zone Alarm. I use both ZAP and Norton Antivirus 2003 on my XP and have not disabled any part of either program.

Hope this helps.

3. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Sure you can run both , i`m doing it now with the "default " settings applied and running fine with them.

4. ibm37

ibm37 Thread Starter

HI, 700mb80min & BillC

Thanks for your advice, suppose I was thinking more about the email protection? So am I thinking that you have this activated within Norton, and also Zone Alarm, should it not be one or the other? does not cause any probs? extra delay in sending or receiving?

Oh, yeah.. I have Disabled XP firewall, because of the Zone Alarm
    (Was recommended by a Tech Guy:))

Thanks..

5. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Yes disable xp`s firewall , and yes again that there will be a half second it takes norton to scan incoming and outgoing mail ( will be a small norton pop-up) and zone alarm will be invisible after you configure the alerts to your liking , but be sure to up-date both on a regular basis and don`t rely on ZA for your e-mail , norton will get it .

6. BillC

BillC

The e-mail protection provided by Norton and Zone Alarm have never conflicted for me, but rather they compliment each other. It seems one catches something the other migt miss and visa versa.

Here is a great site to test your various e-mail exposures. Try this test site ; they have several different tests. This will give you a better idea of the two programs's security.

7. ibm37

ibm37 Thread Starter

Thanking you both...
    I will take a good look at the web site ..

8. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

BillC , you say ZA caught something norton missed ? First i`ve heard of it , and what kind of alert/warning did you get , and were both up-dated ?

9. BillC

BillC

When I said that, I meant in terms of tests I've run and as well as real evil active viruses. In each case, an alert came from either ZAP or Norton saying a mail was quarantined and was displayed on the e-mail attachment. When you try to open it, then a pop up is shown as an alert warning.

Most recently, one of the "e-mail Microsoft patch" viruses was caught by my Zone Alarm and not Norton. It could have been W32.Dumaru, W32.Swen, or one like that. None the less, ZAP got it. That is not to say Norton would not have, but ZAP got it first.

I have also seen times when Norton gets something ZAP misses. Once again, I don't remember the virus.

Have you tried the e-mail test I mentioned above?

10. BillC

BillC

700mb80min...Try the various e-mail tests at the site I posted above. I just did again and like I said, somethings were detected by Norton and some by Zone Alarm. The good news for me is that all of them werre detected.

11. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Gave a throw away ( with no protection) and failed all. Did a similar test with my fire-wall and norton and came back ( stealth ) on all tests , which is the best so i`m fine.:D The reason i asked is that i`ve never seen a ZA warning before.:confused: :)

On the phone with my ISP the other night concerning an e-mail problem , and he said to go on line which i replied " i am " , to which he said " no your not , i can`t see you " to which i replied " yes i am ,i`m on your home page and also reading my e-mail from an outside site " .:D I had to send/recieve all so he would believe me .:p , so i think i am secure !:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice