1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

norton system works

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Richard Gordon, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Thread Starter

Hi All
    I have Norton anti virus on my computer.
    I purchased Norton system works
    which includes an anti virus program.
    Should I delete my original anti virus program?
    Thank You

2. slipe

slipe

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

If I could just add something.......If you're still able to get free virus updates, etc. from Symantec with your current NAV, then IMO, I would continue to use your current NAV. You'll probably reach a point after a year where you won't be able to get the free updates anymore. At that point, I would install NAV from the SW CD and you'll have another year of free updtes, etc. :)

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

buckaroo is right about the subscription time BUT, you can do a "custom" install from the CD and just not install the anti-virus portion of the program. That way you still get all of the other utilities. Then when your "old" subscription runs out - uninstall NAV at that time and install the "new" one.

5. slipe

slipe

I would agree only if your current AV is the same version as the one with Works. Each version of Norton AV has had more features than the previous one.

If the subscription is due to run out in a few months I would just do the whole thing now while you have the link to the Symantic removal utility, even if it is the same version.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm failing to see why it's important to have the links to maximize the use of your AV subscription. :confused: If you think the links will disappear, download the uninstall utilities and archive them on your disk for use when the subscription runs out.

I don't know about other folks, but I spend enough to keep software updated, it seems silly to throw some of that money away for no reason!:rolleyes:

7. slipe

slipe

My ‘do it all now’ perspective is mostly from laziness. I would just install it all now and get it over with. If your old AV version is the same as your new one or at least 2001 and a couple months or so of updates is worth the hassle, then do a custom install of everything else now and save the AV installation for when the updates run out.

It just seems it would be so easy to run the utility now and do a full install of SW. I have no problem with the alternative view though unless your old version is 2000 or later. Norton AV has added a LOT of features since then.

I got the retail CD only of SW pro 2001 and 2002 for $12 each online the past couple of years. They still want $30 for 2003, but my 2002 subscription doesn’t expire until April and I’m hoping the price is down by then. For $12 it isn’t worth having older versions and having to mess with subscriptions – or cheating.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi slipe. I did check out that link for using SymClean. It's use may be needed if the standard uninstall doesn't remove all of NSW. Just curious..........any idea, what is the likelyhood of standard uninstall not doing a sufficient job?

9. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

A standard uninstall still leaves a lot of junk around which often prevents a re-install or install of a newer version.

10. buckaroo

buckaroo

I know, I was just curious what the track record is of NAV not fully uninstalling itself. Just wondering how likely is it that you'll have to use SymClean to clean up the uninstall?

11. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Thread Starter

:) Thanks everyone for the help.
    R.Gordon

12. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

I have needed to uninstall a version of System Works before installing the latest version.

Just to be sure that everything had been removed I checked through the registry and removed a few items still left behind. I then ran the SymClean which reported that there was nothing left to remove.

The next time I intend to uninstall, use SymClean and then check the registry to see if everything had indeed been removed just to see if it does remove all.

I doubt if Symantec would make available the SymClean utility unless there had been a significant number of complaints.

13. slipe

slipe

Some people seem to have a lot of grief uninstalling Norton AV or System Works and then installing a newer version. But I have no idea what the percentages are.

14. jbcalg

jbcalg

this last time i had to use all the symclean and other tools, manually edit the registry, run power tools to further clean the registry, and even used NUtilities from the cd to find stuff

- fortunately the 'dance naked in the full moon' custom removal tool wasn't needed as it's minus 17C outside right now

all that because once i ran the add/remove, it didn't remove all the apps, but it removed the entry in the add/remove LOL

previous uninstalls and upgrades smooth as silk for NAV alone or in/with the NSW bundle

go figure

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice