1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

norton systemworks 2001 drive access error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by robertD, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robertD

robertD Thread Starter

I have Norton SystemWorks 2001 w/Win98SE. Some time ago, I was able to download virus definitions through Norton Update, not anymore. I figured that they wanted an annual. I found www.MagorGeeks.com. I have been downloading definitions from there ever since. Well, the other day, after a download and bringing up Norton Antivirus and proceeding with a virus check, I got this: Unable to read the boot record on hard drive #0. Check to make sure the drive is ready. The heading on boxes stated: Drive access error. I clicked on continue and another box popped up stating the same except...Unable to read the boot record on hard drive C. Underneath was a box and apparently it can't scan master boot records. After I Xed out, I got this page fault: NAVW32 caused an invalid page fault in module NAVEX32A.DLL. I did an Ad-ware full system scan and found 19 critical objects. I cleared those out. Not to long after, I noticed that Norton was downloading virus definitions after all these years. I figured something was fixed. I tried to do a virus check and same problem as before: NAVW32 caused an invalid page fault in module NAVEX32A.DLL. I did remove and reinstall Norton anitvirus and still same problem. If any one has a clue as to where to proceed from here, it would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

2. richiehack

richiehack

I'm having the exact same problem as you Robert!! same error messages, same Norton programs. Everything was fine until I ran live update to retrieve the latest virus definitions. Now I can't scan for viruses but the auto protect feature seems to work?? maybe there's a bug in Norton's latest download--I can't find anything on their website. Anyone else having the same problems??:confused:

3. richiehack

richiehack

anyone???:confused:

4. mcquartz

mcquartz

Same problem with updating an old OEM version of Norton antivirus, which has been happy to accept daily updates for the last six years (!). Maybe the Symantec boys are quietly killing of their old apps. Switched to AVG for the time being.

good luck,

McQuartz

5. Vietvet

Vietvet

Hi! Exact same prob with same OS and NSW 2001. I just left the " Live Updates" and downloaded a new update for NAV. After it finished installing, I tried running a virus scan and got the same error message box, again. BUT this time instead of clicking on " continue" and then "skip drive", I hit the "close" x. The scan started. It read the boot records and was running, what appeared to be, normally. I was was still connected to the internet so I stopped it. After I get off the web I am going to try it again. False error??
    In the meantime I am going to download AVG just in case. Hope Symantec will fix this if it is a false error.

6. Vietvet

Vietvet

Well, ran a virus scan and closed those error boxes, and all that does is allow the scan to continue on the rest of the drive. It did not scan the boot records.

7. richiehack

richiehack

You're right Vietvet. The boot records still are not being scanned. However, it seems that the files on the hard drive are being scanned. I used to get an error in the "navex32a.dll" file which is the virus definition file I think. This error has now disappeared after running liveupdate and installing the definitions dated aug 1/06. Some of the problem is fixed I guess but not all of it. There are 4 or 5 "navex32a.dll" files in the Norton directory. I started noticing problems after the july 27/06 update appeared. When the aug 1/06 file was installed, the july12/06 file was bumped out. Hopefully the next liveupdate file will bump out the problem july 27/06 file. I know other people with the same issue so it's not just us. We might just have to wait another week for another update file and see what happens???:confused:

8. Vietvet

Vietvet

I just left the Symantec site, which didn't even list support of any kind for NSW 2001. And there, basically, is no support for 2002, 2003 either. They do have some info archived, but I didn't find anything that helps. Also did another live update, downloaded one for NAV, but it did not fix the problem.
    What you are experiencing is exactly what has happened to me. I downloaded the update7/26/06 and ran the scan the next day and got the error msg.
    Always avoided uninstalling and reinstalling NAV because of having to re-download the virus defs. Always wondered where they were stored and if it could be copied and replaced after reinstall. Might try it if they are in that "navex32a.dll". NAV says I have 72000+ definitions.
    I've also downloaded AVG, but not installed yet. Might be next step.
    I've got a hunch Symantec is telling us it's time to upgrade!

9. hewee

hewee

Even if you upgrade I think your only get the 2005 version.
    Or with SystemWorks 2006 it says it has SystemWorks 2005 on the CD to so you can install it on 98 because there new version will not work on 98.

Yep you got to get the box version and your get NAV 2005.
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=nav2006

System Requirements
    Current Version: 2006
    Platforms: Windows® XP Home Edition/Professional
    Windows 2000 Professional ONLY
    Boxed product includes Norton AntiVirus 2005 for Windows Me & 98 users

10. richiehack

richiehack

The july27/06 virus definition file was bumped out by the aug2/06 file but the problem still exists. Could be an issue with the way the virus scan engine is handling the newer definition files?? Hewee's right about Norton 2006 not working on windows 98/se/me. It seems that Norton/Symantec have dropped support for the older versions and operating systems. It could be time to drop them and move onto another product!!! I've heard good things about AVG & NOD32 from other users--might be time to make a switch.:confused:

11. maybe#

maybe#

got the same problem with norton 2000.done a re-install to no effect. connected my drive to a system running xp and norton 2003 and it will read the boot record ok. so it confirms to me the old version of norton is at fault and not the boot record.

dont bother with a re-install as it wont help.

12. Vietvet

Vietvet

Uninstalled NAV and installed AVG Free. Spent the last hour configuring and updating. I think I covered all the bases. At least when AVG runs a scan, it scans the boot records! Hopefully prob solved. Bye, bye NAV.
    I bought the NAV 2006 (2005 for Win 98SE). It will be free after the rebates, but I thought I'd try the AVG Free for a week or so. I can return the NAV 2006 aas long as I don't open it.
    Good luck everyone. I think 86'ing the old NAV is the answer.
    BTW, I'm new here, and this is a great site! Thanks to everyone!

13. robertD

robertD Thread Starter

I just tried again with the updated virus definitions and same problem as before: NAVW32 caused an invalid page fault in module NAVEX32A.DLL. I have to agree with richiehack, 'It seems that Norton/Symantec have dropped support for the older versions and operating systems. It could be time to drop them and move onto another product!!! I've heard good things about AVG & NOD32 from other users--might be time to make a switch.' I will continue trying to update and scanning using Norton for awhile, but if page fault continues, then it will be time to move on as they have done to us. If anything changes, I'll inform. I thank all those who commented on my problem and yours.:D

14. phipp

phipp

I have this problem too, first noticed when the regular scheduled weekly scan failed on July 28th. Mine is Norton Antivirus V4.04 ("Avenge 1.5" Definitions, AV engine, "Roswell95" antivirus scanning engine, circa 1996-98) under Windows 98.

The previous scan July 21 was ok. I seem to recall LiveUpdate giving me a software update to my scan engine sometime recently, possibly between the 21st and 28th... maybe that's the problem. Anyone else? If so, does anyone have any good direct phone numbers to talk to an appropriate intelligent person at Symantec to let them know they have created a problem?

I doubt there is anything sinister or deliberate here in terms of Symantec withdrawing support... I have received two Virus definition updates and the one "scanning engine software update in the past few weeks... admittedly the updates are more infrequent and sporadic than with later NAVs on other machines here but they are still coming... (any of you who are not getting them, note there was an update to the liveupdate app itself a while back, a separate program, and without doing that update the earlier NAV liveupdate app won't be finding any NAV software or definition updates... Look for and execute a program called luall.exe, probably in your program files/symantec/liveupdate folder)

Back to this boot record problem, I managed to get NAV to stop abending with the page fault, Now, if I click "continue" on each of the boot record access failure messages it continues with a successful scan of memory and files, everything except the boot records.

I also did a couple of security patches (Microsoft KB917344 and KB918547) to Windows 98, automatically thru Microsoft Windows Update, on June 23rd, and although Nav ran successfully once or twice thereafter, I am wondering if the security patches tightened the operating system such that older NAV apps are being denied access to the boot records by the tighter operating system. Anyone else with this problem running Win98? Did you also apply the patches? Anyone with this problem NOT running Win98?

My greater concern is that one of the new and deadly keystroke logger or spyware programs has got into the boot records and is locking NAV out in order to protect its turf. My old NAV v4 does not detect spyware, only viruses, and if i am not mistaken, running a newer NAV with spyware detection on that drive as a network drive from another computer in my network (as I have done) will not help because the boot sector is not checked on a remote network drive... Anyone have any comments on this? could it be a spyware / keystroke logger attack?

15. Vietvet

Vietvet

Phipp.
    I'm running Win 98 SE and have not done any updates recently.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice